Dominica Shopping Tips by grandmaR Top 5 Page for this destination
Dominica Shopping: 15 reviews and 28 photos
Store on the left behind the pilot boat
This shop was on the ship recommended list which usually means that they are more expensive. We could see it from the ship - it was right on the main street.
They had Land™ leather goods, casual wear for men & women, alcohol, tobacco, sunglasses, indigenous crafts & souvenirs. We went in and looked, but didn't buy anything
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 9-5pm, Sat 9-2pm
Address: 19 Castle St., Roseau, Dominica
Other Contact: Fax: 1 767 448 5338
Phone: 1 767 448 3394
Theme: Women's Clothes
Grass baskets for sale on the road
One local craft that you can buy are baskets and mats made from grass. We saw examples of this craft in the museum. I thought they would make good gifts, so I bought some in the local market, and at the rain forest tram headquarters, but they are displayed at most outdoor booths. You can bargain.
The phone number and name of the store that is listed is one that advertises these products, but I have not been there.
What to buy: Frommers says: "The handmade Dominican vetiver-grass mats sold at Tropicrafts Island Mats, are known throughout the world, and you can watch the weaving process during store hours. They also sell dolls, shopping bags, and place mats, all appliquéd by hand.
What to pay: At the market, grass placemat was $5@. I said that I wanted 5 but could not afford that much money. So she said she'd give me 5 for $30. I said that is the wrong direction - that's more than $5 @. So she eventually agreed to 5 items for $20 and she would throw in a small basket to boot.
Address: 41 Queen Mary St. &Turkey Lane, Roseau, Dominica
Phone: (767) 448 2747
Theme: Local Craft
clothing hung in a stall
Outside the museum was a craft type fair. I had a hard time finding stuff that didn't have very loud garish colors, but I bought a pink T-shirt and a little dark pink dress for two granddaughters. After I got them back to the ship, I found out they were made in Thailand and China, and were not local.
I did get some EC coins for our grandsons.
I thought I might buy some coffee for some of my children and their spouses, so I went to the tourist information place and asked. She said there was a place called Bello (pronounced Bee Low) but they were closed because it was Saturday.
What to buy: Frommers says: "In Roseau, the Old Market Plaza, of historical significance as a former slave-trading market and more recently the site of a Wednesday-, Friday-, and Saturday-morning vegetable market, now houses three craft shops, each specializing in coconut, straw, and Carib craft products.
Theme: Children's Clothes
More Reviews (15)
- See All Waterfalls
- See All Colonial Capitol
- See All Vans
grandmaR's Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "Martin_S.'s Dominica"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hayman Island Hotels
- Newmarket Hotels
- Atwood Hotels
- Providenciales Island
- Shanghai Shi Hotels
- Province of Abra
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 18 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues