"Island Time" Top 5 Page for this destination The Bahamas by grandmaR
The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,026 reviews and 4,590 photos
We visited the Bahamas twice by sailboat in the early part of the century (2000 -2002) . Most of the narratives and tips are on the individual pages.
The closest to Florida and the first place we visited is Bimini.
I have pages on:
Alice Town, Bimini District
North Bimini, Bimini District
South Bimini, Bimini District
Next alphabetically, although it is physically south east of Nassau is
Exuma District with additional tips and photos at:
Allen Cay, Exuma District
Highbourn Cay, Exuma District
Norman's Cay, Exuma District
and Shroud Cay, Exuma District although there are no tips to speak of there because the island is uninhabited.
Next alphabetically is Freeport District.
If people aren't going to Nassau, they often say they are visiting Freeport City, Freeport District
But Freeport isn't a tourist destination. That is just where the airport is for:
Grand Bahama Island, Freeport District
Most tourists go to
Lucaya, Freeport District with some tourist activity at
West End, Freeport District
The most popular destination, Nassau, is actually on New Providence Island and thus in New Providence District
After Bob's heart attack, while we were in Miami, we left our boat at: Coral Harbour, New Providence District but there is almost no touristic activity there.
Nassau, New Providence District
and Paradise Island, New Providence District are the main destinations on New Providence Island.
Alphabetically last on my list, but located between Bimini and Nassau, south of Grand Bahama is the Nichollstown and Berry Islands District
We visited first Frazer's Hog Cay, Nichollstown and Berry Islands District
and on our way back Chub Cay, Nichollstown and Berry Islands District
This still leaves lots of exploring for us to do in the Bahamas. Unfortunately we won't be doing it on our own boat anymore.
Since then, we've been to the Bahamas several times on cruise ships. Almost every cruise line has a "Private Island" that they take people to for beach time.
Our first Private Island is what is called Half Moon Cay. This is really Little San Salvador Island in the Cat Island District and we have been there several times on Holland American cruises, and I had fun parasailing there. But mostly we just watch from the ship as it is a tender port (we can't just walk off the ship onto the dock)
Royal Caribbean goes to Coco Cay which is between Coco Cay Island and Great Stirrup Cay - that's their private island. We visited once in 2011, but did not go ashore because it was a little bit rough and this is also a tender port. VT does not have a location for Coco Cay so my review is on the Nichollstown and Berry Islands District
NCL's Private Island is Great Stirrup Cay, but we have not been there. Princess has their private island at the south end of Eleuthra, but we haven't been there either.
- Pros:Close to the US, and easy to get to
- Cons:A lot of tourists and can be expensive
- In a nutshell:It's no problem mon. - if you are on island time
For someone on a cruise that goes to Nassau and wants to take pictures of wildlife and beaches, you might do a bike... more travel advice
Both on Grand Bahama Island, and in Nassau there are internet cafes. This is WAY WAY cheaper than communicating by... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
The Bahamas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Time"
- "Freeport & Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island"
- "Cruise Trip to the Bahama Island"
- "Grand Bahama Island"
- "The Bahamas - When you think of Paradise"
- "The Bahamas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Bahamas
- Hotels in The Bahamas
- Transportation in The Bahamas
- Nightlife in The Bahamas
- Restaurants in The Bahamas
- Shopping in The Bahamas
- Warnings and Dangers in The Bahamas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Bahamas
- 160 Reviews
- 507 Photos
- 98 Forum posts
- 18 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to The Bahamas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Bahamas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues