"A Jumping off Place for the Virgin Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination St. Thomas by grandmaR

St. Thomas Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,290 photos

In October of 1995, my husband suddenly said to me - we are going to Bermuda for Thanksgiving and the Virgin Islands for Christmas. He remembered St. Thomas from when his US Navy ship came into port there.

I persuaded him that I didn't want to be away for Christmas. We did go to Bermuda and other places.

But finally at the end of January 1997 we went to the Virgin Islands. We stayed on St. John and then chartered a sailboat.

That Thanksgiving we went to charter a sailboat a second time. We bought a boat like the ones we chartered, and from 1998 to 2004 we mostly traveled on our own boat. Unfortunately, I am chicken to sail our boat down to the Caribbean.

In 2005, we finally got to go back to St. Thomas, and we rode up the Sky Ride and Visited Coral World. In 2006 we met an internet boat friend for lunch and then took a taxi ride around the island. The second 2006 visit, we took a taxi to Red Hook and ferried over to St. John where we walked around town, bought presents in St. John Spice, had lunch and then ferried back to Charlotte Amalie.

Cruises in 2007 went to the BVI instead of St. Thomas, and in 2008 and 2009 we didn't do the regular Caribbean destinations.

In 2010 we had a soggy visit in the rain. I did the BOB snorkeling, and Bob just went and looked at boats. In 2011, we took the excursion to St. John. Finally in 2013 we came to St. Thomas again and hired a taxi.

• Pros:Wonderful sailing and close to a lot of other islands
  • Cons:Traffic, crime and hurricanes
  • In a nutshell:Shopping mecca
  • Last visit to St. Thomas: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2013

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 3:52 AM

Fantastic tips! The sailboat charter sounds like a dream!

• pabertra's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 1:30 PM

Thanks for the sneak peak. Have any more pics to share with us on VT? We would love to see them! :)

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2003 at 7:32 PM

Great intro page...work on those tips.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in St. Thomas

Have you been to St. Thomas?

Latest Activity in St. Thomas