"A Jumping off Place for the Virgin Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination St. Thomas by grandmaR
St. Thomas Travel Guide: 462 reviews and 1,284 photos
In October of 1995, my husband suddenly said to me - we are going to Bermuda for Thanksgiving and the Virgin Islands for Christmas. He remembered St. Thomas from when his US Navy ship came into port there.
I persuaded him that I didn't want to be away for Christmas. We did go to Bermuda and other places.
But finally at the end of January 1997 we went to the Virgin Islands. We stayed on St. John and then chartered a sailboat.
That Thanksgiving we went to charter a sailboat a second time. We bought a boat like the ones we chartered, and from 1998 to 2004 we mostly traveled on our own boat. Unfortunately, I am chicken to sail our boat down to the Caribbean.
In 2005, we finally got to go back to St. Thomas, and we rode up the Sky Ride and Visited Coral World. In 2006 we met an internet boat friend for lunch and then took a taxi ride around the island. The second 2006 visit, we took a taxi to Red Hook and ferried over to St. John where we walked around town, bought presents in St. John Spice, had lunch and then ferried back to Charlotte Amalie.
Cruises in 2007 went to the BVI instead of St. Thomas, and in 2008 and 2009 we didn't do the regular Caribbean destinations.
In 2010 we had a soggy visit in the rain. I did the BOB snorkeling, and Bob just went and looked at boats. In 2011, we took the excursion to St. John. Finally in 2013 we came to St. Thomas again and hired a taxi.
- Pros:Wonderful sailing and close to a lot of other islands
- Cons:Traffic, crime and hurricanes
- In a nutshell:Shopping mecca
On one of our visits we took a tour in a taxi around the island. Island tours by taxi usually include the popular sites... more travel advice
St. Thomas' Lighthouses are on Buck Island. Almost every Caribbean Island has a Buck Island. It was where they put the... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
St. Thomas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Island with a Family Connection"
- "St. Thomas"
- "St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands"
- "A Jumping off Place for the Virgin Islands"
- "St. Thomas"
- "St. Thomas U.S.V.I"
- "St. Thomas, Virgin Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in St. Thomas
- Hotels in St. Thomas
- Transportation in St. Thomas
- Nightlife in St. Thomas
- Restaurants in St. Thomas
- Shopping in St. Thomas
- Warnings and Dangers in St. Thomas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in St. Thomas
- 17 Reviews
- 128 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to St. Thomas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St. Thomas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues