"North side of the Donut Hole" Hamilton Parish by grandmaR
Hamilton Parish Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Hamilton Parrish is just south of St George and is on the north side of Harrington Sound. It was originally called Harrington Tribe, after Lucy Harrington, a wealthy and influential woman in the Elizabethan era. Subsequently it was named after another Elizabethan patron, James Hamilton, 2nd Marquis of Hamilton in the Scottish peerage (1589 to 1625). He was one of the gentlemen Adventurers who invested in the Bermuda Company to colonize it from 1615. As he was the largest shareholder in the original Hamilton Tribe, it took his name.
Early settlers called the Parish or Tribe Bailey's Bay. In 1623, adventurer Captain John Smith, famous in American, Bermudian and British history, encountered many spooky caves in this Parish. It has deep water limestone caves, with subterranean passages. Altogether, there are 10 accessible caves in Bermuda that have sea water pools with a maximum depth of 80 feet given tidal variations. Most are in this Parish.
I have not visited the caves because of the steps
grandmaR's Related Pages
Hamilton Parish Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North side of the Donut Hole"
- "The Parish of Hamilton, in The Somers Isles"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hamilton Parish
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Hamilton Parish?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hamilton Parish
Photos in Hamilton ParishSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues