"1963 to 2004" Saint George by grandmaR
Saint George Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 139 photos
When I came to Bermuda for the first time it was 1963, and I was pregnant with my 2nd child. (I left the oldest with my mom.) I was meeting my husband who was then on the U.S.S. Intrepid, and aircraft carrier that was doing operations in the area.
We stayed at the St. George Hotel - rates $11 to $16 a night. This hotel no longer exists. It was on a hill overlooking St. George. (for more information see the St. George Parish tips)
I picked this hotel because it was close to the airport so I would have to pay less for a taxi to the hotel from the airport and because it was fairly near to where Bob's ship was anchored. I could see it from my window.
Petticoat Lane, also known as Silk Alley. The name dates from the 1834 emancipation, when two former slave women who'd always wanted silk petticoats like their former mistresses finally purchased some--and paraded up and down the lane to show off their new finery. This is a picture of Bob by the street sign.
We walked around St. George, visited Somer's Garden, the Historical Society house, King Square, and Fort St. Catherine (pictures of the fort on the St. George's Parish page). The ship replica didn't start being build until two years after we were here, so of course we didn't go there. Many of the pictures I took then have been posted here.
We traveled by bus, and went to see the smallest bridge, to the BAMZ (Aquarium) and went to Hamilton where I did some shopping.
I've digitized 40 of the slides I took at that time - they were all taken with a Kodak Retina Reflex (no flash, no auto exposure) using Ektachrome slide film which was probably no faster than ASA 64.
In addition to being posted on the St. George page and the St. George Parish page, there are other historical photos on the Bermuda, St. David's, Hamilton, Flatt's Village, Smith Parish and Sandy's Parish pages
We visited St. George again in 1995 at Thanksgiving for part of one day, and walked around town, viewed the slide show at the Town Hall (free), went to the Carriage Museum (free), went to St. Peters and visited the St. Georges Historical Society Museum.
This time (2004), the ship docked in St. George on Thursday morning and left Friday at noon. I took a lot of pictures of historic buildings in town, and we went out to Ft. St. Catherine. Also I did some shopping.
- Pros:Historic Town
- In a nutshell:Certifiably Historic
I intended to go to Tucker House, but we didn't have time. It was at 5 Water Street. We passed it on the walk up from... more travel advice
I have not stayed here, but we walked up the hill and took a picture of the cottage. Apparently you used to be able to... more travel advice
- See All Second Floor Overlooking the Square
- See All Face Dock
- See All St. George Cycle Livery
grandmaR's Related Pages
Saint George Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Saint George
- Hotels in Saint George
- Transportation in Saint George
- Nightlife in Saint George
- Restaurants in Saint George
- Shopping in Saint George
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint George
- 36 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Saint George?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint George
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Top Saint George hotels
- Saint George Hotels
- 2 Hotels