"From the Ocean to the Bay to the Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Maryland by grandmaR
Maryland Travel Guide: 3,476 reviews and 9,868 photos
Maryland is my home state. I went to elementary and junior high school here. I met my husband in high school here. After I married we moved all over the US until finally we came back to Maryland in 1973.
I went to post graduate school in Maryland, and taught in Maryland secondary schools for 7 years. Then for 14 years I worked for MD State OSHA and traveled to manufacturing locations all over this state from Ocean City and Crisfield to Friendsville and Deep Creek Lake.
Maryland is divided into six parts. If you think of the state as crab's claw, with the Chesapeake Bay between the pinchers, then you have:
1) The Eastern Shore (the east side of the claw)
2) North East Maryland - east of Baltimore Co and northwest of the Eastern Shore.
3) Baltimore City where I was born (near the middle top of the claw at the thumb knuckle on the western shore) and Baltimore County which goes all the way up to the Pennsylvania line.
4) Western Maryland (the claw arm) which goes from Frederick west to West Virginia
5) Central Maryland or - as the phone company calls it - Suburban Maryland (the area around Washington D.C. and north to Baltimore which includes Anne Arundel County where the state capitol is in Annapolis, Prince Georges County, Montgomery County, Howard County)
6) Southern Maryland where I live (the west side or thumb side of the claw) which consists of the counties of Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's
My philosophy for my state pages is that I do not put restaurants on my page unless they have at least two locations in Maryland. I don't put tips on the page unless they apply to the state or a section of the state.
- Pros:Near the center of power
- Cons:Rural lifestyle is being eroded away
- In a nutshell:From the Ocean to the Mountains
The Chesapeake Bay cuts Maryland in two - it stretches from Virginia almost up to Pennsylvania. There is one main east... more travel advice
The Cedar Point Light originally located on a tiny island off Cedar Point at the southern entrance to Patuxent River was... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Maryland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's cumulative Maryland adventures"
- "From the Ocean to the Bay to the Mountains"
- "Welcome to Maryland"
- "MARYLAND, NORTH - SOUTH GATEWAY"
- "Welcome to MARYLAND"
- "Remembrance of Our Civil War"
- "frankcanfly's Maryland Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryland
- Hotels in Maryland
- Transportation in Maryland
- Nightlife in Maryland
- Restaurants in Maryland
- Shopping in Maryland
- Warnings and Dangers in Maryland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maryland
- 620 Reviews
- 2,697 Photos
- 61 Forum posts
- 76 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Maryland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues