"Coastal Georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Georgia by grandmaR
Georgia Travel Guide: 5,675 reviews and 11,885 photos
The southern end of Georgia has the King's Bay Submarine Base, which is where this photo was taken in 2001.
My impressions of the ICW area are:
* Lots of shrimp boats
* Sandy beaches and low lying land with low vegetation and not many trees
* Lots of empty space
* Tremendous tides which lay bare lots of mud banks.
The tides make the area treacherous, and the empty space makes it peaceful, but it the tides catch you it also make help difficult to obtain. For that reason, we went offshore around Georgia when we came south in 2003, and then again on the way north in the spring of 2004.
Places along the ICW where I have visited (starting in the north) include:
Isle of Hope (Savannah suburb)
Richmond Hill (suburb of Savannah)
Thunderbolt (another suburb of Savannah)
Little St. Simon's Island
Except for one trip to Atlanta in 1996 for a convention,
my only recent experience in Georgia (until 2005) has been along the coast. In February 2005, we did get to visit Savannah and Fort Pulaski
We've been through Waycross by car twice and in 2007 when we were driving home from a cruise we got a chance to visit Fort Frederica National Monument, Saint Simons Island (for the lighthouse) and the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge - the swamp of the Walt Kelly Pogo comic strip fame.
When we were children and on a car trip, we would 'collect' license plate sightings - that is would would keep a list of... more travel advice
1. Because of NIMBY type complaints, there is a law in Georgia making it illegal to live on a boat there. Transients... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Georgia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Peach State"
- "Georgia is a Peach!"
- "A Peachy Place To Be"
- "Coastal Georgia"
- "Georgia - My Home State"
- "Georgia travels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgia
- Hotels in Georgia
- Transportation in Georgia
- Nightlife in Georgia
- Restaurants in Georgia
- Shopping in Georgia
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Georgia
- 156 Reviews
- 794 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (568)
Have you been to Georgia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 745 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 664 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 178 reviews, 406 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 50 reviews, 274 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 58 reviews, 263 photos, 7 travelogues