"America the Beautiful" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America by grandmaR

United States of America Travel Guide: 289,706 reviews and 674,175 photos

For purple mountains majesties

The hymn America the Beautiful was written by Katharine Lee Bates She wrote the original version in 1893. She wrote the 2nd version in 1904. Her final version was written in 1913.

This is the 1913 version. I cut out several stanzas at the end that were repetitive.

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

From sea

This link is to a a slide show of photos plus the music without the words. It is available on a CD, the profits from which go to various military charities. I have no financial interest in this - I just thought it was a beautiful movie.

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.
Who more than self the country loved
And mercy more than life!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea

to shining sea

to shining sea!

My parents used to belong to a camera club. There were about 10 couples who met every month at someone's house and brought slides to show on some theme. One of the popular themes was to illustrate songs (like "My favorite things"). I reached back in my memory to illustrate this hymn for my United States page.

Some people think that this should be the National Anthem instead of the Star Spangled Banner. It is much easier to sing.

---------------------------------------------------

My philosophy for VT is to put the photographs and tips in the most accurate location. But for this page, I've deviated from that a little bit. I've tried to put into words and photographs the things about the United States that are unique. And I've also tried to give an overview to travelers that encompasses the whole country.

For instance I have some pictures of the native or original or common United States foods.

Under Restaurants are all the chain restaurants which are in more than one state. This will help someone who sees several signs and wants to know which one is likeliest to have something he likes to eat.

Under Hotels are also chain hotels that I have stayed in.

Under Off the Beaten Track are photos and interesting facts about the lighthouses that I have seen and directions to visit them if visitation is possible.

• Pros:Incredibly diverse.
  • Cons:There is both bad and good
  • In a nutshell:My beautiful country
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2011

• shiran_d's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Amazing and impressive collection of information thank you

• chocolatecake's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Hi grandmaR, congratualations to you, your typical American food have increased 848% pages view. Read more Huge Gains for your member pages. - Miscellaneous Forum

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Hi, Rosalie! Your description about the food is simply marvellous! Thanks! Take care ! ~

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Never heard about the origin of jack o'lanterns before! Great stuff.

• Feb 1, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Am planning a Model A club picnic - theme to be 'Reliving the day of the Model A.' Any ideas for food, clothes, etc. Obviously no tupperware or plastic flatware. Are big flowered tablecloths right? Calico dresses?

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 6:00 AM

These are great USA pages! I love reminsicing...I remember singing that song (America the Beautiful) when I was a little girl...I also love the pictures and tips!

• Oct 15, 2006 at 12:56 PM

lovely page! Nikos

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM

What a GREAT page !!! Totally cool, love your photos too. I was thinking about doing one , but not sure now...I think I need to visit a few more cities first and take pictures

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 12:27 AM

your food page made my mouth water!! im off to find the nearest late night restaurant!

• FelixB's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 3:00 AM

North America is surely blessed with natural beauty! Interesting and well done pages.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in United States of America

• 4,786 Reviews
  • 21,247 Photos
  • 1,359 Forum posts

Have you been to United States of America?

Latest Activity in United States of America