"Low Key Pre-History" Top 5 Page for this destination Avebury by grandmaR
Avebury Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 244 photos
I had never heard of Avebury until our daughter visited. It is one of our grandson's favorite places. The stones are in a much larger circle which is all the way around the village of Avebury. They are not all there, and missing ones are indicated with these cement markers. I think they are doing some excavation work there now but there was no evidence of it in 2002
Bob and our daughter and grandson walked around to the closest stones, and I walked up through town. I went into one of the souvenier shops along the street,.
Avebury is particularly busy at the summer solstice. If you go then, it might be a good idea to use the regular bus services that operate to Avebury from Swindon, Marlborough and Salisbury.
You can get a pamphlet with six walks around Avebury from the National Trust.
After this we went to our daughter's house in Cheltenham
- Cons:Not complete, and village prices are high
- In a nutshell:Mysterious history
I was surprised to be able to see crop circles from Avebury. (The picture was taken in July.) I'm not sure if they are... more travel advice
Old Sarum was one of the early places where people lived in this area and the remains there span about 4000 years.. It... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Avebury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neverending Sto...nes"
- "Standing Stones of Avebury"
- "Avebury and surrounding area"
- "AVEBURY - THE MAJOR GOES MYSTICAL!"
- "Low Key Pre-History"
- "Avebury - A landscape of ancient magic"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avebury
- Hotels in Avebury
- Transportation in Avebury
- Restaurants in Avebury
- Shopping in Avebury
- Warnings and Dangers in Avebury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avebury
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Avebury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avebury
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues