Ironbridge Things to Do Tips by grandmaR
Ironbridge Things to Do: 37 reviews and 91 photos
Iron Bridge from upstream
Walk around and get pictures of the bridge from all angles. It is a National Historic Landmark. After you've taken pictures from a distance, then go and look at it close up from underneath to appreciate how it might have been constructed.
There are no eye witness accounts are known which describe the Iron Bridge being erected, so the method is a bit of a mystery.
Toll House from across the birdge
We did not get to visit this museum as we got to Ironbridge right about 5 pm. The website says that the secrets of how and why the bridge was built "are revealed in an exhibition housed in the original Tollhouse on the south side of the Bridge."
The Iron Bridge itself is a public access monument.
The Tollhouse is open 10am - 5pm and is ***FREE***
There are other museums in the Ironbridge area. The Passport Ticket allows repeat daytime access to all 10 Ironbridge Gorge Museums, during normal opening hours, so you can return as often as you like for one year.
If after 12 months you have still not visited particular sites, you can return at any time in the future to make one free visit to the sites that you've missed.
Tickets are sold at all the Museums including the Visitor Information Centre in Ironbridge.
60 Plus £15.95
Child Student £12.95
Family (2 A & 3 C) £54.95
Directions: Exit J4 or 6 of M54. Follow signs for Ironbridge Gorge. Then follow signs for Ironbridge Museums Most central car parks are within easy walking distance of the Iron Bridge.
Phone: 01952 884391
Looking through the railings
This bridge was built with cast iron after a nearby smelter made it an economically feasible material to use. I would not have thought iron was a good material to use in a wet location because of the possibility of rusting, and in fact vehicle traffic is now prohibited on the bridge. But you can walk across to the other side, and there are views up and down the river from the bridge.
More Reviews (5)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Ironbridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ironbridge: Cradle of the Industrial Revolution"
- "Ironbridge - Birthplace of Industry"
- "Ironbridge Gorge"
- "Ironbridge - Jewel in the Midlands"
- "Cast Iron Crossing"
- "Ironbridge...A pretty village."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ironbridge
- Hotels in Ironbridge
- Restaurants in Ironbridge
- Shopping in Ironbridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ironbridge
- 8 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Ironbridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ironbridge
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Re: Sending a suitcase."
- updated a Ironbridge Travelogue "Pictures of the area around the bridge"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Museum of the Gorge"
- Wrote a Review Take a Picture about Ironbridge in Ironbridge Things to Do
- Commented on one of MarvintheMartian's Ironbridge travel pages
Photos in IronbridgeSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues