London Warnings Or Dangers Tips by grandmaR
London Warnings and Dangers: 649 reviews and 421 photos
Bob reflected in mirror with bum bag
English English is quite different in some respects from American English. They say garden, and we say yard. To us a garden is somewhere to grow vegetables, and to them, a yard is a stable yard. Most of these differences are fairly benign, and understandable from context without extensive translation.
One slightly more risque difference is between the English "knock up" (which means to knock on someone's door perhaps to wake them up) and the American "knock up" (which means to make pregnant). [My dad almost decked the guy who asked if he wanted him 'to knock up' my mom. Fortunately my dad considered the context before he acted.]
Another potentially hazardous phrase is "fanny pack". That's obscene to the English (apparently refers to a part of the female anatomy which is hidden even when topless). To be less offensive, call them 'bum bags' or 'waist bags'.
The most difficult difference in terminology for our daughter occurs when she is working with American contractors in England. When the Brits say that they want 'to table' something, they mean that they want to discuss it, whereas to Americans, tabling something means to put it aside to discuss later.
My most difficult transition from American to English was accepting that 'lemonade' meant a carbonated drink like Sprite. It seemed really perverse to me to call something lemonade that wasn't. It wasn't even as though the English didn't HAVE lemonade.
I wanted something to drink which was non-carbonated, non-caffine non-bottled-water.
Later on during our visit, I discovered that I could ask for squash which is a sweetened juice concentrate. And sometimes a bartender would give me canned pineapple or some other type juice - a very small can, but regular juice. Or I could ask for tap water, but I don't remember the English term for it.
More Reviews (76)
- See All Too Clogged for a Wheelchair
- See All Radisson Edwardian Vanderbuilt Hotel
- See All Hotel-Link
- See All Beware of the Original
- See All Westminister School Memorial
- See All Agency Booking
grandmaR's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 77 Reviews
- 297 Photos
- 123 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
- Posted in Travel Barcelona Forum "Re: Sending a suitcase."
- updated a London Travelogue "London with my grandson in 2007"
- Uploaded a Photo to "London with my grandson in 2007"
- Uploaded a Video to London
- Wrote a Review Too Clogged for a Wheelchair about Madame Tussauds and Planetarium in London Things to Do
- Commented on one of fishandchips's London travel pages
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (297)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (53)
- Tower of London- 462 Reviews, 762 Photos
- British Museum- 295 Reviews, 529 Photos
- Buckingham Palace.- 398 Reviews, 660 Photos
- London Eye- 265 Reviews, 455 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 259 Reviews, 447 Photos
- Camden Town, Lock and Market.- 101 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 374 Reviews, 632 Photos
- Other Museums and Galleries- 265 Reviews, 584 Photos
- Portobello Road and Notting Hill- 89 Reviews, 132 Photos
- St Pauls Cathedral- 248 Reviews, 419 Photos
See All London Things to Do