"Norman England" Old Sarum by grandmaR
Old Sarum Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
We were able to see Constable's paintings of Salisbury Cathedral while we were in London (I looked up their location on the internet). I think this painting of his is very evocative and almost Turner-like. (I love Turner's paintings too.) But I did not know of its existence until today.
The site of Old Sarum is located one and a half miles north of the present town of Salisbury and about two miles from Stonehenge.
The Normans built a royal castle within the earthworks of an Iron Age hillfort. This fortification, named Sorviodunum in Roman times, was occupied successively by the Romans, the Saxons, the Danes.
The original cathedral here was built after the Norman conquest. and was consecrated in 1092. Just five days later, a great storm came and the building was largely destroyed by lightning
During the twelfth century a great tower and palace were built in the inner bailey. The cathedral, begun in the late eleventh century, was constructed on the north side of the outer bailey.
Because of infighting or because the site was too small to support a large cathedral, or because of the great distance from a secure water supply, the Salisbury cathedral was built down on the plain.
After the move to lower ground, Old Sarum began to be reclaimed by nature and, by about 1500, was used only as pasture land. Today, the impressive Norman fortification has been excavated.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Old Sarum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salisbury mark one"
- "Old Sarum"
- "Old Sarum - Old Salisbury"
- "Almost passed on this..."
- "Norman England"
- "Old (very old) Sarum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Old Sarum
- Transportation in Old Sarum
- Warnings and Dangers in Old Sarum
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Old Sarum
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Old Sarum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Old Sarum
Photos in Old SarumSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues