"Cathedral Town" Salisbury by grandmaR

Salisbury Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 626 photos

Preparation for the Visit

We did this trip to England primarily to see our daughter who had been living in Cheltenham for 3 years on a job exchange. Her husband and youngest son (8 years old) were living there too.

I wanted to see the Salisbury cathedral (which is sort of on the way back to the house our daughter is renting in Cheltenham) because I remembered studying paintings of it when I was in school.

I had taken Bob to see the two paintings of it by Constable at the National Gallery while we were in London. The cathedral rises out of the plain and is visible for miles away, including from the original Roman settlement of Old Saarum.

We spent the first 4 days in London. Then we got on the tube and rode out to West Ruislep so that she could pick us up without having to drive all the way into London.

After we parked, we walked to the Cathedral. Most unusually, they specified the exact amount of the 'voluntary donation' required to be admitted. I think as seniors we paid about £3.

Magna Carta

We went into the chloisters (which were never a residental abby), and into the chapter house where there are one of the four remaining original copies of the Magna Carta. I was not able to get to the British Library when we were in London to see the copies that are there. The charter house also had a large display of antique silver.

After we walked around the gift shop, we went back to the car and started in the direction of Stonehenge and Avebury. We stopped at Old Sarum where the original cathedral was located to look back at the 'new' cathedral.

• Pros:Historic cathedral, built all at once in a single style
  • Cons:Cathedral is run as a commercial operation
  • In a nutshell:Worth a morning's visit
  • Last visit to Salisbury: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2004

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I meant 1220, sorry :)

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Hi Salisbury used to be a town until 2020 when they began to build the cathedral. What camera kit did you use? I use Pentax.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
      Dec 17, 2012 at 6:37 AM

You said Salisbury was a town until 1220 when they started to build the cathedral. Usually if I make a comment like that it is a correction.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Sorry I am forgetful. They finished it apparently in 1258.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 7:26 AM

Salisbury was always my favourite English cathedral until I visited Lincoln, which is even grander and more beautiful. You will see it soon on "The Da Vinci Code".

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I might go there, see how it compares to Salisbury since I ave a new camera :)

• gutsylow's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 6:43 PM

Salisbury Cathedral in the heart of the CITY of Salisbury is the only Cathedral with a dipstick. No! Really! it has been built on a peat bog, when the peat dries it shrinks so they need to add water to the peat under the foundations to stop it collapsing.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:58 AM

No its built on faggots and limestone. It was built on a water meadow, that's why it used to keep flooding which was a pain in the £$%^ as we used to drag the hoses out to suck out the water!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the tips, another interesting Olde English town

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Salisbury

Have you been to Salisbury?

Latest Activity in Salisbury