"Cathedral Town" Salisbury by grandmaR
Salisbury Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 751 photos
We did this trip to England primarily to see our daughter who had been living in Cheltenham for 3 years on a job exchange. Her husband and youngest son (8 years old) were living there too.
I wanted to see the Salisbury cathedral (which is sort of on the way back to the house our daughter is renting in Cheltenham) because I remembered studying paintings of it when I was in school.
I had taken Bob to see the two paintings of it by Constable at the National Gallery while we were in London. The cathedral rises out of the plain and is visible for miles away, including from the original Roman settlement of Old Saarum.
We spent the first 4 days in London. Then we got on the tube and rode out to West Ruislep so that she could pick us up without having to drive all the way into London.
After we parked, we walked to the Cathedral. Most unusually, they specified the exact amount of the 'voluntary donation' required to be admitted. I think as seniors we paid about £3.
We went into the chloisters (which were never a residental abby), and into the chapter house where there are one of the four remaining original copies of the Magna Carta. I was not able to get to the British Library when we were in London to see the copies that are there. The charter house also had a large display of antique silver.
After we walked around the gift shop, we went back to the car and started in the direction of Stonehenge and Avebury. We stopped at Old Sarum where the original cathedral was located to look back at the 'new' cathedral.
- Pros:Historic cathedral, built all at once in a single style
- Cons:Cathedral is run as a commercial operation
- In a nutshell:Worth a morning's visit
The Cathedral at Salisbury was completed in an incredibly short period of time (even for today). The site was prepared... more travel advice
When we walked to the cathedral, we noticed that there was scaffolding around part of the building. Since before I... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Salisbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salisbury, a brief history"
- "A Great Historic City"
- "Surprising Salisbury"
- "Salisbury - its Cathedral and Old Sarum"
- "Cathedral Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salisbury
- Hotels in Salisbury
- Transportation in Salisbury
- Nightlife in Salisbury
- Restaurants in Salisbury
- Shopping in Salisbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Salisbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salisbury
- 7 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (541)
Have you been to Salisbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salisbury
Photos in SalisburySee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 663 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 49 reviews, 269 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues