"Pontcysyllte Aqueduct" Trevor by grandmaR

Trevor Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 67 photos

After we had lunch and shopped in Llangollen, we got into the car and drove off in pursuit of the Aqueduct. We couldn't drive to the town on the other side [Trevor] because they were working on the highway bridge (stone bridge) on the road that went to it, so we went to the east end and parked. For pictures of the canal and crank up bridge on the east end of the aqueduct see the Canal travelogue.

We walked across the aqueduct, our grandson actually was invited to hop on one of the boats and he rode part of the way.

There is about 5 inches or so water on each side of the boats going across. The aqueduct is 125 feet in the air and the water trough is only about 7 feet wide and 5.3 feet deep. The height apparently concerns some people but not others. I saw a man standing on the roof of the canal boat taking pictures.

I saw one lady with a toddler asleep in a sling across her chest, walking fast along the aqueduct with a camera in her hand, while her husband drove the canal boat and red headed twin girls played in the front. Presumably she was going ahead to take photos.

For pictures of the aqueduct see the middle two travelogues - one has pictures of the boats in the aqueduct (including a picture of these little red-headed girls mother), and the other pictures are of the landscape from the aqueduct.

There were a lot of canal boats coming across the aqueduct as there is a mooring area there at Trevor where people spend the night. They have the option to either cook on their boat, or go to the local pub for a meal.

I started to walk back. The others went to the bathroom and then crossed the aqueduct (walking path only on one side), and went under the aqueduct and came back up on the side of the canal where the car was parked. So suddenly I was walking on one side, and there they were on the other side.

After we got back to the car, we drove down to the football field that we'd seen from the top, and I walked down to the little stone bridge, and I talked to the bridge workers and took some pictures.

On the way back we stopped off at Iron Bridge

• In a nutshell:Engineering Marvel
  • Last visit to Trevor: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2005

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2005 at 7:06 AM

A very informative page on a breathtaking location ! I will remember when I will get the occasion to pay another visit to Wales.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 11:57 PM

Did you know siop is Welsh for shop?Lesley

• grets's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 2:57 PM

Hi, we just got back from Trevor less than a week ago. We stayed in a lovely B&B with views from the aqueduct from the bedroom window. Great place isn't it?

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 10:34 AM

Brilliant pictures you sould take a look at my Welsh pages if you like the narrow boats

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2002 at 1:41 PM

Your pics ARE really good, shows the tale well. Thanks for sharing.

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Trevor