"Pontcysyllte Aqueduct" Trevor by grandmaR
Trevor Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 67 photos
After we had lunch and shopped in Llangollen, we got into the car and drove off in pursuit of the Aqueduct. We couldn't drive to the town on the other side [Trevor] because they were working on the highway bridge (stone bridge) on the road that went to it, so we went to the east end and parked. For pictures of the canal and crank up bridge on the east end of the aqueduct see the Canal travelogue.
We walked across the aqueduct, our grandson actually was invited to hop on one of the boats and he rode part of the way.
There is about 5 inches or so water on each side of the boats going across. The aqueduct is 125 feet in the air and the water trough is only about 7 feet wide and 5.3 feet deep. The height apparently concerns some people but not others. I saw a man standing on the roof of the canal boat taking pictures.
I saw one lady with a toddler asleep in a sling across her chest, walking fast along the aqueduct with a camera in her hand, while her husband drove the canal boat and red headed twin girls played in the front. Presumably she was going ahead to take photos.
For pictures of the aqueduct see the middle two travelogues - one has pictures of the boats in the aqueduct (including a picture of these little red-headed girls mother), and the other pictures are of the landscape from the aqueduct.
There were a lot of canal boats coming across the aqueduct as there is a mooring area there at Trevor where people spend the night. They have the option to either cook on their boat, or go to the local pub for a meal.
I started to walk back. The others went to the bathroom and then crossed the aqueduct (walking path only on one side), and went under the aqueduct and came back up on the side of the canal where the car was parked. So suddenly I was walking on one side, and there they were on the other side.
After we got back to the car, we drove down to the football field that we'd seen from the top, and I walked down to the little stone bridge, and I talked to the bridge workers and took some pictures.
On the way back we stopped off at Iron Bridge
- In a nutshell:Engineering Marvel
Obviously the best way to experience the canal is on a canal boat. And canal boats are like floating mobile homes. Canal... more travel advice
The Pontcysyllte aqueduct must be one of the most spectacular in Britain. The canal is fed from the River Dee at the... more travel advice
Written Nov 25, 2005
Canal infrastructure - Bridges and Moorings
Written Dec 4, 2002
Canal boats and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
Written Nov 25, 2005
View from the Top
Written Nov 22, 2005
Looking up (& the under construction car bridge)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Trevor Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Trevor
- Hotels in Trevor
- Transportation in Trevor
- Shopping in Trevor
- Warnings and Dangers in Trevor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Trevor
- 6 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Trevor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trevor
Photos in TrevorSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 329 photos, 10 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues