"Swedish since 1658 - Was a Danish Island" Ven by grandmaR
Ven Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 87 photos
We passed Ven on the cruise ship on the way out of Copenhagen. I learned that the island was historically under Danish rule, but it became Swedish in 1658, confirmed in 1660 by the Treaty of Copenhagen.
HVEN (the old spelling of the name) is situated just off the Swedish Coast at Landskrona in the northern stretch of in the Öresund strait, between Scania and Zealand (Denmark). The closest spot on the Swedish mainland is Ålabodarna at 4.3km as the crow flies. Rungsted, right opposite Hven's Kyrkbacken Harbour, is the nearest shore on the Danish side at 6km. The distance to Copenhagen is 24km
It is devoted mostly to farming and has a population of less than 400. Ferry service to the island is available from Landskrona and, in the summer only, to Helsingborg and Copenhagen. The ferries dock at Bäckviken
- In a nutshell:The pearl of Öresund
grandmaR's Related Pages
Ven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ven a small Island between Sweden and Denmark"
- "Between Sweden and Denmark"
- "Swedish since 1658 - Was a Danish Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ven
- Hotels in Ven
- Transportation in Ven
- Nightlife in Ven
- Restaurants in Ven
- Shopping in Ven
- Warnings and Dangers in Ven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ven
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Ven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues