Copenhagen Restaurant Tips by grandmaR
Copenhagen Restaurants: 443 reviews and 585 photos
One half of Nordic Sandwich DK135
The airport is connected by a walkway to this hotel. If you have time and want something to eat, you can do it here without any trouble
They have three restaurants
Horizon All Day restaurant which is a buffet. It offers international dishes for lunch and dinner as well as a sumptuous Sunday lunch service every week from 12pm until 3pm. Try typical Danish fare at this Hilton hotel restaurant's breakfast buffet.
Hamlet Nordic Dining a gourmet restaurant that is a bit more formal where Nordic dishes and various delicious specialties are freshly prepared
Axis Bar and Lounge for snacks
Favorite Dish: When we arrived, we decided that we weren't that hungry and went to the bar. My granddaughter just had a strawberry smoothie (65 DK), but I opted for a Nordic sandwich which was smoked salmon, shrimp and creme fraiche on dark bread (135 DK), forgetting that I'm not that fond of smoked salmon. My granddaughter tried some of the fish eggs that were on top, but didn't like them OR the dark bread. I also had cranberry juice (35 DK).
We went to the buffet for breakfast - it was a really extensive buffet - almost bigger than the Lido on the ship. They had various items like eggs made to order (poached, soft or hard boiled and omelets), plus the normal hot buffet items like scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, beans (photo 2), tomatoes, pancakes, waffles, French toast and porridge. Then there was bread which could be toasted, rolls, sweet rolls, coffee cake, cheeses and cold meats, cold cereal (photo 3) and a variety of juices, tea and coffee.
Address: Ellehammersvej 20, Copenhagen, Denmark 2770
I intended to have dinner in Tivoli and wanted it to be Danish food. I looked on the Tivoli map for possible places, I saw that there was a Danish restaurant called Divan II, so we headed for that. The menu outside said they had smorgesbord, but what I didn't realize was that it was only for lunch (the menu being in Danish I couldn't read it all).
This was a fancy gourmet restaurant, and we weren't really dressed for it. They put us in the back with the non-alcoholic muslim women and men with no coats or ties. While we were there, they did something to some steaks that involved a brandy flambe which was quite spectacular. The set-up is pictures in photo 5.
Favorite Dish: We both had appetizers (which is a favorite way of mine to avoid spending a lot of money. I had seafood bisque (115DK - photo 3), and she had risotto (95 DK).
I tried the blanched asparagus (photo 2), but I found it disappointing as it didn't taste like asparagus. The little shrimp and sauce with it was nice but not worth 175 DK. Then we both had strawberries Romanov for dessert (125DK ea-photo 4). My granddaughter had two cokes, and I had cranberry juice (32 DK each)
The bill was not only a horrible 584DK but they added 25% tax onto it and then an additional 3% for a foreign credit card. So I guess I will have to wait until we come back to try smorgesbord.
Address: Vesterbrogade 3
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: In Tivoli on the north side
Price: US$41 and up
Ice cream menu
So we started walking up the shopping street and stopped for lunch at a place called Shawarma for lunch. I was attracted to this place because of the ice cream bar in the front. There was a downstairs which operated like a fast food sandwich place - you stood and ordered from a counter. We climbed to the upstairs where we could sit and the barman would go and get us the food. In order for him to do this we had to order a meal rather than just a sandwich
Favorite Dish: I didn't realize it at the time but this isn't really a Danish restaurant at all, but a Lebanese one. My granddaughter had vegetarian humus for DK 35 with two pieces of pita bread, and I had marinated grilled beef with fries and a salad for DK 79. I had seen a big side of beef downstairs, but it was sort of disappointing as the beef was a little tough.
Afterwards we got ice cream and ate it in front of a glove shop on the street.
Address: 1459 Kobenhavn K., Frederiksberggade 36
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: On the main shopping street
Phone: 33 12 63 23
Theme: Middle Eastern
Burger King and KFC
On our way back to our hotel, we came to a KFC and Burger King (there are Burger Kings, 7-11s and McDonalds on every corner). It was cold and it was getting on for five pm, so we went in and ate.
Favorite Dish: My granddaughter had a crispy burger 33.00 Dk which was really small, and I had a twister (61.00 Dk) and we both had mashed potatoes and gravy. She had a coke and I had what was billed as a lemonade but was carbonated. I knew that lemonade in the UK wasn't really lemonade, but had assumed that in Denmark it would be labeled more truthfully.
Comparison: less expensive than average
Theme: Fast Food
More Reviews (37)
- See All Joined to the Airport
- See All Modern Buildings
- See All Lights at Twilight
- See All The Original Copenhagen Harbor
- See All Steeples Punctuate the Skyline
grandmaR's Related Pages
Copenhagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Windy-ful Copenhagen"
- "Copenhagen, a "suburb" to Valby..."
- "COPENHAGEN ON THE CHEAP"
- "Operas and cycling in Copenhagen"
- "Highly Hygge!"
- "Copenhagen city of Absalon"
- "little mermaid’s city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Copenhagen
- Hotels in Copenhagen
- Transportation in Copenhagen
- Nightlife in Copenhagen
- Restaurants in Copenhagen
- Shopping in Copenhagen
- Warnings and Dangers in Copenhagen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Newport Beach
- Wanganui Hotels
- San Cristóbal de La Laguna
- Ciales Hotels
- Aitutaki Hotels
- Angulugaha Hotels
Badges & Stats in Copenhagen
- 41 Reviews
- 247 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Copenhagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Copenhagen
Photos in CopenhagenSee All Photos (247)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Copenhagen hotel reviews
- Memory Place
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2010
- Quality Hotel Marina
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 11, 2013
- Nimb Hotel
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Park Inn Copenhagen Airport
- 163 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Morten Fredricksen Guesthouse
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2009
- Scandic Webers
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Excelsior
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Jorgensen
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- D'Angleterre Hotel Copenhagen
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Charlotten Fort Campground
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Bellahoj Youth Hostel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 1, 2010
- Hotel Christian IV
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Hotel Copenhagen
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Tivoli- 132 Reviews, 240 Photos
- Nyhavn- 100 Reviews, 172 Photos
- Christiania- 46 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Rådhuspladsen - Town hall square- 79 Reviews, 164 Photos
- Amalienborg Palace- 70 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Little Mermaid- 96 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Canal & Harbour Tours- 46 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Rosenborg Palace & Kongens Have- 61 Reviews, 127 Photos
- Carlsberg Brewery- 33 Reviews, 66 Photos
- Strøget- 45 Reviews, 68 Photos
See All Copenhagen Things to Do