"Tower, Flowers, Dams and Waterfalls" Top 5 Page for this destination El Yunque National Forest by grandmaR
El Yunque National Forest Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 254 photos
At the Visitor's Center, we saw a breadfruit tree, and heard the coqui (tree frogs) singing. Our guide told us there were more than 75 species of ferns, but no snakes, and very few mammals because it is an island. There were hibiscus and ginger flowers, traveler's palms, and a tree with a palmate leaf which turned over (white side up) when it was going to rain. Since the rain forest does get a lot of rain, this is fairly often.
When we left the Visitor's Centery, the first stop was the La Mina waterfall. we drove up to a trail head beside a dam and pond which had been built by the CCC. There was impatiens growing wild all along the side of the road. Then we stopped at Yokahu Tower. There was a visitor's center and snack bar. We could see the clouds coming across the top of the mountain, and the rain tree leaves were turning over to the white side.
Bob climbed the 98 steps to the top of the tower (which was built as an overlook by the Park Service- you can see 10 miles on a clear day) and took some pictures from the top, but I remained at the bottom and just took pictures from there.
At Yokahu Tower, there was a visitor's center and snack bar. Bob climbed the circular 98 steps to the top of the tower... more travel advice
At El Yunque there 50 species of birds, 11 species of bats, 8 species of lizards, and 13 species of coquí (a tree frog -... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
El Yunque National Forest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tower, Flowers, Dams and Waterfalls"
- "Jumping Around El Yunque Rainforest!"
- "OF COURSE WE WENT HIKING"
- "El Yunque National Forest"
- "Big Chocharillas"
- "Puerto Rico's Natural Side"
- "El Parque Nacional Caribeño"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Yunque National Forest
- Hotels in El Yunque National Forest
- Transportation in El Yunque National Forest
- Restaurants in El Yunque National Forest
- Shopping in El Yunque National Forest
- Warnings and Dangers in El Yunque National Forest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Yunque National Forest
- 13 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to El Yunque National Forest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Yunque National Forest
- Posted in Travel Hilton Head Island Forum "Re: Hilton Head and. Savannah..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Views over the country"
- updated a El Yunque National Forest Travel Page "Tower, Flowers, Dams and Waterfalls"
- Commented on one of chodearm's El Yunque National Forest travel pages
- Wrote a Review Views over the country in El Yunque National Forest Favorites
Photos in El Yunque National ForestSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues