"Rain Forest Visits" Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero by grandmaR
Tortuguero Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 325 photos
The park name comes from the Spanish word for turtle: tortuga, as does the name for the Dry Tortugas in the US. Six of the eight known marine turtle species come here every year to nest, making this the most important park for marine turtle research in the world. About the only thing we did NOT see in the park was the sea turtles that the park is named for. because we were there during any of the nesting seasons.
We stayed outside the park at Parismina and took two trips into the park. The most exciting one was the night tour. But the daytime tour was nice too. We saw several kinds of monkeys, river turtles, poison-arrow frogs, caimen, and many birds including a toucan.
Then we revisited the park in 2008 from a cruise ship. It was just as I remembered and I got some better pictures.
Travel in Tortuguero National Park is by water or by air and you get around in the park mostly by water, although there is a narrow gauge train. You can't get there by land. It is full of canals.
- Pros:Wonderful wildlife
- Cons:Lots of mosquitoes
- In a nutshell:One of Costa Rica's National Parks
While we were stopped at the boat departure point, they had a little band there that played music for dancing. I... more travel advice
As part of our tour, we went to a banana plantation and saw the process there. Of course since it was Sunday, none of... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Tortuguero Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Village and the Park"
- "This is it!"
- "Rain Forest Visits"
- "Undeniably unforgetable & unique!"
- "Turtle spotting"
- "The Lonely Hunter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tortuguero
- Hotels in Tortuguero
- Transportation in Tortuguero
- Nightlife in Tortuguero
- Restaurants in Tortuguero
- Shopping in Tortuguero
- Warnings and Dangers in Tortuguero
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tortuguero
- 16 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to Tortuguero?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tortuguero
Photos in TortugueroSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues