"Small and Exclusive" Highbourn Cay by grandmaR
Highbourn Cay Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos
At Highborne Cay the marina managers are Barbara Thrall and Ian Macbeth. Macbeth can tell you just about anything you want to know about cruising the Exumas.
The 16-slip marina (and over 800 feet of face dock) is totally protected (even from cooling winds). The two-and-a-half-mile island is privately owned, but marina guests are free to explore its paths and beaches and discover the dense variety of Exumas flora: Joe wood, crab wood, pigeon plum, seven-year apple, poison wood, silver top palms, hog palms, bougainvillea, casuarinas or visit the spring.
Some boats are too big to get into the marina and some are too cheap to pay the price. Those that anchor off the island are allowed only limited access to the marina area and the beach next to it.
Three cottages are available. The best one overlooks the marina entrance and you can see the sunset from there. Call Janet Miller ("Cool Runner") on Channel 16 in the afternoon and she'll have a delicious dinner prepared for your arrival. I talked to folks from the cottages, and they said she always gave them more food than they could eat.
When we were there, the contractor crews that were putting up the Batelco tower were in the cottages. The folks who rent the cottages have a free run of the island of course, but the contractors didn't have any time for that as they were working dawn to dark, seven days a week.
- Cons:Difficult to find information about the island
Snorkeling and diving is good around the island. The ship DISCOVERY is shipwrecked off Highborne Cay. I do not know the... more travel advice
Highborne Cay has the only marina in the northern Exumas. This is a small marina with 16 slips. As a visitor in the... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Highbourn Cay Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Highbourn Cay
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (517)
Have you been to Highbourn Cay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highbourn Cay
Photos in Highbourn CaySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 647 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 367 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues