"Hiking and Diving" Virgin Islands National Park by grandmaR

In October of 1995, my husband suddenly said to me - we are going to Bermuda for Thanksgiving and the Virgin Islands for Christmas. I persuaded him that I didn't want to be away for Christmas. We did go to Bermuda. Then finally at the end of January 1997 we went to the Virgin Islands. We stayed on St. John in a guest house (we had a room with a kitchenette and breakfast was included - it was up the hill in Cruz Bay).

We took the Reef-Bay trail and other National Park Service walks, visited Anneberg Sugar mill, snorkeled at Cinnamon Bay and went to a night slide presentation, shopped and visited various restaurants. Then we chartered a sailboat with a crew. That Thanksgiving we chartered another sailboat with the same crew. At that time my husband also tried scuba diving for the first time and discovered he liked it. Since 1998 we've mostly traveled on our own boat, which we bought as a result of that Virgin Islands trip.

• Pros:Hiking and Beaches
  • Cons:Expensive and few options except big hotels, renting a villa, or camping
  • In a nutshell:Emerald Jewel with wonderful beaches
  • Last visit to Virgin Islands National Park: Jan 1997
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2003

Comments

Virgin Islands National Park Travel Guide

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Virgin Islands National Park

Have you been to Virgin Islands National Park?

Latest Activity in Virgin Islands National Park