Callao Transportation Tips by grandmaR
Callao Transportation: 2 reviews and 10 photos
Repurposed school bus
Even in Callao, the people use the little local buses.
Train engine from a tour bus
In the port area in Callao there was a small train engine on display. We were told that it was the original engine for the train that went to Machu Picchu. That was (and maybe still is) a narrow gauge line.
It may also be from the line called the Ferrocarril Central del Perú which started in Callao port, from almost the sea level, it passes by Lima city and then reach the peak-altitude of 4,818 m. in the Anticona pass (Ticlio, Lima).
There is a similar type train pictured on a so called Trencito stamp which was a stamp used to pay for mail carried by train between Callao, Lima and Chorrillos. It was issued on December 29,1865 and was a half price postage reduction. At that time the minimum postage charge was 10 cents (Un Dinero) so the new railroad rate was reduced to 5 cents.
Whatever the reason for the little engine, we always tried to take a picture of it when we went in and out of the gate.
Lighthouse and gulls
More Reviews (11)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Callao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lima's Port - Provincia Constitucional del Callao"
- "Port of Lima"
- "EL CALLAO, PUERTO PRINCIPAL DEL PERU"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Callao
- Transportation in Callao
- Warnings and Dangers in Callao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Callao
- 15 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Callao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Callao
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues