"Lima from Callao" Top 5 Page for this destination Lima by grandmaR
Lima Travel Guide: 1,188 reviews and 2,763 photos
Lima was founded by Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro on January 18, 1535, as La Ciudad de los Reyes, or "The City of Kings." It has been an important city from the time it was founded and is the capital of Peru. Today around one-third of the Peruvian population lives in the metropolitan area.
We visited Lima from a cruise ship which was docked at the port - Callao. It wasn't always possible for us to tell when we went from Callao to the actual city of Lima because (as it is said in Wikipedia) "It forms a contiguous urban area with the seaport of Callao"
In South America, there are larger cities but the only larger CAPITAL city than Lima is Sao Paulo.
When we were there, it was the site of APEC Conference (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) which includes 21 Pacific Rim countries or regions (styled 'member economies') to discuss the regional economy, cooperation, trade and investment. President Bush attended this conference, and most of Peru seemed to be on lockdown while it was going on.
Taking photos without a flash in a dark place like a church, or in a museum or aquarium requires a little more care than... more travel advice
We saw many other churches on our tours around Lima. The architecture was varied - some modern and some colonial. I... more travel advice
- See All Arid Climate and Green Parks
- See All Outside the Monestery
- See All From the Bus or Boat
- See All Plaza Dos de Mayo (May 2nd)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Lima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El_Sueco's new Lima Page*)"
- "Lima from Callao"
- "It Never Rains in Lima, but Maybe it Should"
- "LIMA... HELL OF THE GODS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lima
- Hotels in Lima
- Transportation in Lima
- Nightlife in Lima
- Restaurants in Lima
- Shopping in Lima
- Warnings and Dangers in Lima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lima
- 43 Reviews
- 244 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (181)
Have you been to Lima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lima
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues