"The Highest Lighthouse" Isla San Lorenzo by grandmaR
Isla San Lorenzo Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 97 photos
A few kilometers off the coast of Callao lies Isla San Lorenzo. Considered to be the largest and highest island found off the Peruvian coast, it is eight kilometers long, three kilometers wide and 370 meters high. Here, you can find natural caves, abysses, beaches and ravines that offer magical views.
The island served as a refuge for the Spanish Armada in 1866 during the Battle of Angamos. At the moment, the deserted island is controlled by the Navy. It is accessible by boat or by ferry, which leaves from Puerto del Callao. The journey takes about 30 minutes on average.
The historian Francisco Quiroz proved that the English pirate Jacobo Heremite Clerck, who died in 1624, is buried on this island.
It also has the highest lighthouse in Peru - named after a Peruvian Admiral.
This is also an island near the islet of Frontón, once the site of a maximum-security prison, bird nesting and guano collecting areas, sea lions, and a Naval Base.
San Lorenzo Island is the largest island of Peru. The island is in the Pacific Ocean near the port of Callao and... more travel advice
They handed out a little plastic card with information on what we were going to see, but it was all in Spanish. One of... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Isla San Lorenzo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Isla San Lorenzo
- Transportation in Isla San Lorenzo
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla San Lorenzo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla San Lorenzo
- 14 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Isla San Lorenzo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla San Lorenzo
- Posted in Travel Finland Forum "Re: STATE DEPARTMENT TRAVEL WARNING"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Isla San Lorenzo tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Peruvian Simeon gull (Larus belcheri)"
- updated a Isla San Lorenzo Travel Page "The Highest Lighthouse"
- Uploaded a Video to Isla San Lorenzo
- Wrote a Review Burials, Prisons, and Seabirds in Isla San Lorenzo Favorites
Photos in Isla San LorenzoSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues