"Santiago de Guayaquil - Up River" Top 5 Page for this destination Guayaquil by grandmaR
Guayaquil Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 479 photos
Guayaquil is the largest and the most populous city in Ecuador. In 1600 Guayaquil had a population of about 2,000 people; by 1700 the city had a population of over 10,000. According to the most recent census (2001), its population was 1.985.379.
In spite of being a long way up the river from the Pacific Ocean is the nation's main port. Guayaquil is on the west margin of the Guayas River, which flows into the Pacific Ocean at the Gulf of Guayaquil. The climate is hot and generally humid.
Guayaquil has a cathedral and many other Roman Catholic churches. There is a Temple and many chapels of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Many other faiths and religions are represented throughout the city.
Guayaquil was founded on July 25, 1538 with the name Muy Noble y Muy Ciudad de Santiago de Guayaquil by Spanish Conquistador Francisco de Orellana. Even before it was founded by the Spanish, it already existed as a native village. The city suffered from a major fire in 1896 which destroyed large portions of the city. It has also suffered a number of earthquakes in the last century which resulted in the destruction of the colonial architecture in the city. The most recent earthquake was a 5.6 magnitude earthquake on Aug. 18, 1980
- Cons:Hot and Humid
There is lots of security around the ports in most places in South America. Guayaquil was no exception. The port website... more travel advice
grandmaR's Related Pages
Guayaquil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guayaquil - The 'Pearl of the Pacific'"
- "Santiago de Guayaquil - Up River"
- "Looking back to the river"
- "A short stop over in Guayaquil"
- "Welcome to Guayaquil"
- "Only an overnight stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guayaquil
- Hotels in Guayaquil
- Transportation in Guayaquil
- Nightlife in Guayaquil
- Restaurants in Guayaquil
- Shopping in Guayaquil
- Warnings and Dangers in Guayaquil
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guayaquil
- 17 Reviews
- 118 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Guayaquil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guayaquil
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues