"Namibia, natural beauty" Namibia by Bigjones

Namibia Travel Guide: 2,168 reviews and 6,341 photos

I have to admit that Namibia was not initially in my wish list, so I’d have never thought of going there one day. But since one of my boyfriend’s friends lives there, I started to read a bit about this for me unknown country and when I saw pictures of its strange landscapes, its red desert, its different people and its wild animals, I knew I definitely wanted to go ! That’s how I started to search on the net for the cheapest flight possible and how we took off from Düsseldorf on the 04th of April for three adventurous weeks in this extremely arid but beautiful and well preserved land under the reign of nature.

Our road map

Namibia is a very big and desertic country where you can drive for hundreds of kilometers without seeing anyone (about 2 inhabitants/km²). But it's never boring though since the landscape is so different and amazing in each part of the country : red dunes, white desert, savannah, mountains, ocean, trees and even flowers (it was the end of the rainy season).

After a few days in the capital, Windhoek, we opted for an organised tour to see a maximum in a minimum of time with a minimum of risk. Our route was : Windhoek - Okanhandja - Waterberg - Otjikoto - Etosha National Parc - Twyfelfontein - Swakopmund - Sesriem - Sossusvlei - back to Windhoek. After that we had three options : either go back to the north and see the Himba tribes (a very long drive to see them for half an hour) or go to the south to see the Quivertree Forest and the Fish River Canyon (we already saw many canyons and quivertrees) or go to Cape Town (18 hours per coach). We finally opted for this last solution : after all this desert, it was also nice to see a big city, especially a wine-producing city ;-)

• In a nutshell:Africa for beginners like me ;-)
  • Last visit to Namibia: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2005

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2005 at 4:49 AM

we'll read with high interest your namibian pages....we'll be there next october!

• ptitetoile's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 12:58 AM

Welcome back in Belgium Bridget!!!! Les premières photos sont déjà sublimes!!!!! Merci pour ta jolie carte postale ;-)

Bigjones

“Expect the unexpected”

Badges & Stats in Namibia

Have you been to Namibia?

Latest Activity in Namibia