"Namibia, natural beauty" Namibia by Bigjones
Namibia Travel Guide: 2,211 reviews and 6,563 photos
I have to admit that Namibia was not initially in my wish list, so I’d have never thought of going there one day. But since one of my boyfriend’s friends lives there, I started to read a bit about this for me unknown country and when I saw pictures of its strange landscapes, its red desert, its different people and its wild animals, I knew I definitely wanted to go ! That’s how I started to search on the net for the cheapest flight possible and how we took off from Düsseldorf on the 04th of April for three adventurous weeks in this extremely arid but beautiful and well preserved land under the reign of nature.
Namibia is a very big and desertic country where you can drive for hundreds of kilometers without seeing anyone (about 2 inhabitants/km²). But it's never boring though since the landscape is so different and amazing in each part of the country : red dunes, white desert, savannah, mountains, ocean, trees and even flowers (it was the end of the rainy season).
After a few days in the capital, Windhoek, we opted for an organised tour to see a maximum in a minimum of time with a minimum of risk. Our route was : Windhoek - Okanhandja - Waterberg - Otjikoto - Etosha National Parc - Twyfelfontein - Swakopmund - Sesriem - Sossusvlei - back to Windhoek. After that we had three options : either go back to the north and see the Himba tribes (a very long drive to see them for half an hour) or go to the south to see the Quivertree Forest and the Fish River Canyon (we already saw many canyons and quivertrees) or go to Cape Town (18 hours per coach). We finally opted for this last solution : after all this desert, it was also nice to see a big city, especially a wine-producing city ;-)
- In a nutshell:Africa for beginners like me ;-)
Bigjones' Related Pages
Namibia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Extreme World"
- "Namibia, an unknown yet unique African gem"
- "SAND, SUN AND SKYDIVING !!!!!"
- "Namibia - the dry paradise"
- "Namibian Safari"
- "Namibia - my introduction to Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namibia
- Hotels in Namibia
- Transportation in Namibia
- Nightlife in Namibia
- Restaurants in Namibia
- Shopping in Namibia
- Warnings and Dangers in Namibia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Namibia
- 57 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Namibia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namibia
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 56 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagora Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- The Hague Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Río San Juan Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues