"A picturesque baroque town" Solothurn by Bigjones
Solothurn Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 100 photos
Solothurn is a lovely baroque town located on the river Aare at the foot of the Jura mountain range.
It took us only 10 minutes by train to get there from Biel but you can also take a boat trip (unfortunately for us, it was closed on that day : open daily from June to September except Mon; May and October Sat/Sun only)
What I enjoyed the most was the peace of this place. It was very pleasant to have a walk though these quiet streets full of flowers or along the river and look at the very Italian architecture of the churches among others (the origin of the town dates back to Roman times indeed).
I especially liked the clock tower with its astronomy clock. It's very impressive. I found more information about it on the website of the town (http://www.solothurn-city.ch) :
"... the knight, death and between them a "Mannli", the King of Fools. Since 1545, the Grim Reaper has turned over his sand dial at the top of every hour. "The glass is full" as he nods his bald pate toward the knight, the symbol of a life of power. The clockworks were built by Lorenz Liechti and Joachim Habrecht. Below it are the two city patrons from 1583, Urs and Viktor".
Bigjones' Related Pages
Solothurn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Solothurn - a jewel amongst Swiss towns"
- "Baroque beauty"
- "White Town of St. Urs"
- "THE CITY ON THE AARE RIVER"
- "bratsch's new Solothurn Page"
- "A City filled with History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Solothurn
- Hotels in Solothurn
- Nightlife in Solothurn
- Restaurants in Solothurn
- Shopping in Solothurn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Solothurn
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Solothurn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Solothurn
Photos in SolothurnSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 56 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagora Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- The Hague Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Río San Juan Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Latest Solothurn hotel reviews
- Youth Hostel Solothurn
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2012