"Windhoek, the capital of Namibia" Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek by Bigjones
Windhoek Travel Guide: 233 reviews and 839 photos
On the 05th of April, the temperature was about 20°C at 6 o’clock in the morning when we landed in the Windhoek’s airport. Our friend Heidi kindly picked us up at the airport and after a 40km-drive across a green mountain scenery, we finally arrived in Windhoek-city where it soon began to rain cats and dogs. But luckily for us, we only had one rainy day in Namibia ;-)
Windhoek was not really the kind of city I expected while travelling to Africa : it’s a very modern and clean city situated in aloe-covered mountains. The German influence is obvious in the architecture and probably also in the order of the city. The city is in fact so westernized that I felt as if I was in Europe !
The population itself is also very mixed : black people coming from different tribes coexist with quite a lof of white and of course, people of mixed-raced. Many languages can also be heard.
But if Windhoek is probably not the most interesting and typical spot in Namibia, it’s quite a pleasant city with many shops and good restaurants. It’s also the easiest place to find an organised tour or rent a car to explore the rest of the country.
No need to go very far to see animals. As soon as you are out of the city, you’re already in nature and likely to see wild animals !
We went to this market in the Katatura district with our guide : we saw and tried some specialities such as grilled... more travel advice
You can find everything you need in Windhoek, there are plenty of shops selling the same stuffs than in Europe and more... more travel advice
Bigjones' Related Pages
Windhoek Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "QUIET AND ORDERLY"
- "Windhoek - Our own little hill "country""
- "Windhoek, the capital of Namibia"
- "A city that holds a small corner of my heart"
- "Windhoek, Capital of Namibia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Windhoek
- Hotels in Windhoek
- Transportation in Windhoek
- Nightlife in Windhoek
- Restaurants in Windhoek
- Shopping in Windhoek
- Warnings and Dangers in Windhoek
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Windhoek
- 16 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Windhoek?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Windhoek
Photos in WindhoekSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Brussels Intro, 56 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Etosha National Park Intro, 30 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagora Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- The Hague Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Río San Juan Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues