"Windhoek, the capital of Namibia" Top 5 Page for this destination Windhoek by Bigjones

Windhoek Travel Guide: 238 reviews and 849 photos

On the 05th of April, the temperature was about 20°C at 6 o’clock in the morning when we landed in the Windhoek’s airport. Our friend Heidi kindly picked us up at the airport and after a 40km-drive across a green mountain scenery, we finally arrived in Windhoek-city where it soon began to rain cats and dogs. But luckily for us, we only had one rainy day in Namibia ;-)

Windhoek was not really the kind of city I expected while travelling to Africa : it’s a very modern and clean city situated in aloe-covered mountains. The German influence is obvious in the architecture and probably also in the order of the city. The city is in fact so westernized that I felt as if I was in Europe !

The population itself is also very mixed : black people coming from different tribes coexist with quite a lof of white and of course, people of mixed-raced. Many languages can also be heard.

But if Windhoek is probably not the most interesting and typical spot in Namibia, it’s quite a pleasant city with many shops and good restaurants. It’s also the easiest place to find an organised tour or rent a car to explore the rest of the country.

No need to go very far to see animals. As soon as you are out of the city, you’re already in nature and likely to see wild animals !

• Last visit to Windhoek: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2005

• kaleonard's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM

I am doing a project on Windhoek and I need to know what the time difference is compared to Eastern Standard Time in Pennsylvania, United States. If they do day light savings time or not. My project is set in January 27

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 9:42 PM

great windhoek tips

• chess_machine's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Great tips and shots of Windhoek. Had no idea about this city before I check your page. Thanks.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 5:19 AM

Great tips, sadly I will only spend an overnight in Windhoek...

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 8:29 PM

Thank you for a great tour through Windhoek. I also loved your animal pictures. That lion was a bit too close for me, I think. Diane

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 8:27 AM

Great page and photos of windhoek, thanks for sharing :)

• Marie-France's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 10:16 PM

Great Windhoek page! Going to Namibia in December. J'ai tres hate de voir les animaux!

• BeChar's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2005 at 12:31 AM

Après avoir vu ces photos, content de vous compter encore parmi nous ;-). Merci pour le safari.

• Muya's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2005 at 11:16 AM

Na Siiiiiie !! Quelle sensation d'être si près d'animaux pareil !!!

• Beckhanne's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Woaw. Superbes photos, surtout celle du lion ;-)

Bigjones

“Expect the unexpected”

Badges & Stats in Windhoek

Have you been to Windhoek?

Latest Activity in Windhoek