"Chatham-Kent: FAQs" Chatham by Canadian_girl
Chatham Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 11 photos
The obligatory first question is: "Where the **** is Chatham???". Good question. My standard answer is "about 2 miles past the middle of nowhere". But if you want to get more specific, it's in Southwestern Ontario, roughly halfway between London and Windsor along Highway #401. Or about 3 hours west of Toronto, for the Ontario uninitiated.
The next question is often, "What's that smell???" The answer is more complicated than one might think. The distinctive bouquet of Chatham-Kent is a complex blend of aromas that includes the "harmless" emissions from the local ethanol plant (smells vaguely like brewing beer), and a delicate mélange of manures (cow, horse, pig, chicken, emu... don't ask).
This, naturally, leads to the third question: "Why the hell would I want to go there?" Ummmmm....
1) To visit relatives, yours or mine. 2) To attend the Chatham campus of St. Clair College (Windsor), or Ridgetown College of Agricultural Technology (University of Guelph). 3) To go to the beach (see my Rondeau Provincial Park page). 4) To conduct an in-depth study of the fascinating species known as the Northern Redneck. 5) To escape the frigid winter weather of the rest of Ontario. It's usually warmer and less snowy here than elsewhere.
Having said all that, this really is a fairly pleasant and quiet area to pass a couple of days, even though as a teenager I would have sacrificed several vital organs to get out of the place. ;-)
This is really more of a Chatham-Kent page than just a Chatham page. The county was amalgamated several years ago to form one big municipality, so this page will have info on lots of tiny destinations in the area.
- Pros:Definitely NOT touristy. An abundance of fresh produce in the summer.
- Cons:"What's that smell??"
- In a nutshell:Kansas of the north?
A good place to spend the afternoon regressing to your childhood. Think mini-golf, bumper boats, arcade, batting cage,... more travel advice
The Wheels is a hotel and conference centre, as well as the closest thing Chatham has to an Indoor amusement park.... more travel advice
Canadian_girl's Related Pages
Chatham Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Chatham
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Chatham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chatham
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 25 reviews, 4 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 17 reviews, 5 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 6 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Chatham Intro, 7 reviews
- Manitoulin Island Intro, 6 reviews
- Rondeau Provincial Park Intro, 5 reviews
- Stockholm Intro, 3 reviews
- Edinburgh Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- Strasbourg Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
Latest Chatham hotel reviews
- Retro Suites Hotel
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013