"A quick stop in Sofia..." Sofia by Flamegirl

Sofia Travel Guide: 1,473 reviews and 3,634 photos

I spent a week in Sofia, most of it spent indoors doing a course (see www.insightseminars-bg.org) where I was able to meet and make friends with quite a few Bulgarians. They even let me stay with them for free, which means I got an interesting view of Sofia from the eyes of its inhabitants (which I always prefer when travelling).

Unfortunately the weather wasn't great whilst I was here, so the city looks less impressive (as does anywhere) against a grey sky.

However, here is the famous Nevsky cathedral (they're in the process of regilding the some of the domes). It was very intricately decorated inside but, of course, we're not allowed to take pictures...

new friends!

These two ladies made sure I didn't starve for the week (which was a very real possibility) by translating for me. They showed me around a lot and made my stay a pleasure!

• Last visit to Sofia: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated May 12, 2004

• Oct 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM

When the storks return from Africa, then spring is really underway. We tie the braselets to the trees in order to bring good harvest to the tree, we also wear the bracelets ourselves in order to bring ourselves health and luck.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 5:46 AM

Think I would need the assistance of a few friendly locals like you managed. Some interesting tips here & certain parts of eastern Europe sure seem a lot less expensive than the rest of Europe.

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 5:09 AM

Nice page, I d heard about the tree ribbon thing from a Bulgarian who I worked with . Strange!!

Flamegirl

“there's a whole world out there...”

Badges & Stats in Sofia