"Comasco Cavern" Como by Flamegirl

Como Travel Guide: 322 reviews and 852 photos

home from home

I first fell in love with Como when my sister moved here in Oct '98, and I came to stay for a few months to babysit my niece and learn Italian (not to mention sample the local cafes and go shopping!).

I was very lucky because I arrived in time to do one of the free Italian courses for foreigners, run by town councils (comuni) throughout Italy and which I can thoroughly recommend. The following year I began university in Scotland, studying Italian and French.

I returned in August 2002 for my year abroad (part of my degree). I had a job in Milan and lived with my sister's family just outside Como.

Como is a lovely little town nestling in the foothills of the Italian Alps, which will always hold a little place in my heart. However I eventually got fed up of the long commute into Milan and my lack of social life, so I found a flat in Milan... (see my Milan page).

Como has often played a key part in the history of northern Italy due to its geographical location (as the crossing point between central Europe and the Mediterranean), and has attracted visitors since Roman times (Pliny the Elder and Younger came from Como) thanks to its gorgeous scenery. The wedding scene from Star Wars: Attack of the Clones was filmed here at Villa Balbianello.

This is a picture of the duomo, or cathedral. The square is just in from the lake, and due to its narrow width it's very difficult to get all of the duomo in one photo.

This picture was taken in front of one of my favourite bars (see tips!)

Cavallasca

My sister lives in a small village on the other side of the mountain from Como. The view towards Como/Brunate can be seen on my Brunate/lighthouse must-see tip. This is the view looking the other way, towards Switzerland.

Here are some great sites for learning more about Lake Como, although not all are in English:

www.larioonline.it/
www.travelplan.it/reg_lom_com_page.htm
www.italyheaven.co.uk/lakecomo.html
www.bellagio.co.nz/history/
www.provincia.como.it/turismo/index2.html

• Pros:picturesque
  • Cons:packed with tourists in the summer; people can be a bit snobbish
  • Last visit to Como: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 14, 2005

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I'm going to visit Como soon.

Ciao!

• babygrand's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 8:37 AM

You leave me absolutely drooling with your description of your "home base" cafe in Como. I have definitely put it into my trip planner. Thanks so much.

• syllou's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Belle foto, mille grazie, vado sul Como fra 1,5 settimane. Ciao

• chagi1's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2004 at 4:04 AM

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!! I love looking at them and dreaming.. well done on your site!!!

• parik112's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 4:47 AM

Beautiful old-fashioned boats! Never seen before! Good work! Riccardo (Milan, Italy)

• virattravels's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2004 at 10:00 AM

those are photographs??? or some one painted those up! 2 good

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 9:51 AM

Bravo :-)))

• vivimero's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 5:24 AM

I didn't know you were back to London...just been there in july...we should have met..as we didn't do that in Italy...

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 4:46 PM

como is a nice little place.i have been there a couple of times. one time sleeping at a building site.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 2:58 PM

You are very lucky to have spent time in this beautiful part of the world.

Flamegirl

“there's a whole world out there...”

Badges & Stats in Como