"A Day in Bavaria" Bavaria by Flamegirl
Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,455 reviews and 37,126 photos
In 1995 my school choir went on a week's tour in Austria (around Salzburg), performing concerts at old people's homes.
Of course we got time to visit the area, and being so close to Germany we had a day trip to Bavaria. This included a tour of the salt mines at Berchtesgaden, and a jaunt on the stunning Lake Konigssee.
Although I'd been to the Alps before, Konigssee was the first Alpine lake I visited and despite its small dimensions, it left a strong impression in my memory.
Reputedly the most beautiful lake in the German Alps, I was awed by the fabulous emerald green of the water, complemented by the trees on its steep limestone slopes, and the rays of sunlight playing on the water.
When this area was ceded to Bavaria by the Austrians in 1810, Lake Konigssee became the chosen retreat of the Bavarian royal family and their special permission was needed to travel on the lake. Luckily no such restriction exists now, and I'd strongly recommend a boat trip.
Of course, nowadays the area is famous for its more recent history; Hitler made his home around Berchtesgarden and Obersalzberg, and it's possible during the summer to visit his "Eagle's Nest" retreat, along with many other Nazi buildings.
One bunch of schoolchildren, kitted out in their miner's uniforms and awaiting the start of the tour...
The costume is a traditional part of the visit and plays a practical role (as well as adding to the atmosphere). See my must-see tip for more info!
Not exactly a "must-see" but a "must-do"; there are 21 electric boats (to prevent pollution, no motorized boats are... more travel advice
Flamegirl's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
Top 10 Pages
- Milan Intro, 26 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Como Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Croydon Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mazarrón Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sofia Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bourgogne Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Salento Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos