"A Day in Bavaria" Bavaria by Flamegirl

Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,144 reviews and 35,707 photos

In 1995 my school choir went on a week's tour in Austria (around Salzburg), performing concerts at old people's homes.

Of course we got time to visit the area, and being so close to Germany we had a day trip to Bavaria. This included a tour of the salt mines at Berchtesgaden, and a jaunt on the stunning Lake Konigssee.

the cleanest lake in Germany

Although I'd been to the Alps before, Konigssee was the first Alpine lake I visited and despite its small dimensions, it left a strong impression in my memory.

Reputedly the most beautiful lake in the German Alps, I was awed by the fabulous emerald green of the water, complemented by the trees on its steep limestone slopes, and the rays of sunlight playing on the water.

When this area was ceded to Bavaria by the Austrians in 1810, Lake Konigssee became the chosen retreat of the Bavarian royal family and their special permission was needed to travel on the lake. Luckily no such restriction exists now, and I'd strongly recommend a boat trip.

Of course, nowadays the area is famous for its more recent history; Hitler made his home around Berchtesgarden and Obersalzberg, and it's possible during the summer to visit his "Eagle's Nest" retreat, along with many other Nazi buildings.

Salt Mines, Berchtesgaden

One bunch of schoolchildren, kitted out in their miner's uniforms and awaiting the start of the tour...

The costume is a traditional part of the visit and plays a practical role (as well as adding to the atmosphere). See my must-see tip for more info!

• Last visit to Bavaria: Jul 1995
  • Intro Written Aug 5, 2004

Flamegirl

“there's a whole world out there...”

Badges & Stats in Bavaria

Have you been to Bavaria?

Latest Activity in Bavaria