"ice bowl" Novosibirsk by tmyroniak

Novosibirsk Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 405 photos

Siberian New Years

I've heard for years that people were "sent" to Siberia, but no one ever just goes there. My curiosity got the best of me, so I had to take a side trip from Moscow to see what it was like. After a few short days there, I decided to go back when it was colder, so I returned to Novosibirsk, the Western Capitol of Siberia, for New Years. And yes, it was cold.

• Pros:Value for US dollar, beautiful women, great vodka, wonderful theater for opera and ballet
  • Cons:A bit chilly, VERY icy, people hard to befriend, crime
  • In a nutshell:A complicated but beautiful city in summer, ice hell in winter
  • Last visit to Novosibirsk: Jan 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 15, 2002

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 10:30 AM

The Siberian capital seems to be an attractive destination! You were lucky going there, Tom!

• suvaa003's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2003 at 2:38 AM

I loved N too, and I was there in December and the theater was good too

• McCallister's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2003 at 4:57 AM

while traveling from Kemorova to Barnaul I passed thru novosibirsk but we did not dtop as we were behind schedule.. the city to an american like me seemed like a "best kept secret of Russia". so modern in the middle of nowhere. hope to return some day.

• zentrinko's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2003 at 6:28 PM

Always nice to see someone take an "off the beaten" path route in Russia, nice page, but I know the crime is much worse in Moscow than Novosibirsk

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2003 at 6:09 PM

An interesting place to go !

tmyroniak Visits Here Frequently!

tmyroniak

“it's better to have it and not need it...”

Badges & Stats in Novosibirsk

Have you been to Novosibirsk?

Latest Activity in Novosibirsk