"Simy Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Symi by miman
Symi Travel Guide: 226 reviews and 366 photos
Simi (Greek: Óýìç; also transliterated Syme or Symi) is a small but historic Greek island. Geographically, it is part of the Dodecanese island chain, located about 41 km from Rhodes (and 425 km from Piraeus, the port of Athens), with 57 km² of mountainous terrain. Its interior is dotted with small valleys, and its coastline alternates between rocky cliffs and sandy coves. Its main town, located on the northeast coast, is also named Simi, and the island has around 2,500 inhabitants, mostly engaged in fishing, trade, and tourism. In addition to its many historical sites, the island's isolated beaches—many reachable only with small boats—are popular with tourists.
Symi belongs to the Dodecanese island complex and is situated NW of Rhodes, at a distance of 24 nautical miles from its port and 255 n.m. from the port of Piraeus. It is located very close to the Asia Minor coastline and has a total surface of 68 sq. miles and 85 kms of coastline. As you glimpse the perfectly formed harbor of Symi town for the first time you are confronted with a beautiful picture-postcard Venetian village. You will be enchanted by the wonderfully well-preserved houses (huddled together as they cling to the steeply rising hills beyond), that reflect the island's rich past. On Symi you will enjoy the sea even in May or October-due to its mild climate and its many days of sunshine it has one of the longest summers of the Greek islands! Symi consists of two distinctive areas-Yialos which is the island's harbour and Ano Symi or Chorio. Smaller settlements are those of Nimborios, Pedi, Marathounda and Panormitis.
- THERE IS NO AIR SERVICE TO Symi. You may however fly to the island of RHODOS and from there catch A FERRY BOAT OR HYDROFOIL TO SYMI ISLAND
-USEFUL TELEPHONES ON SYMI
CODE PREFIX: +30 22470
* Municipality: 41 209 - 41 206 - 41 333
* Taxi: 31 225
* Harbourmaster: 41 133
* Police: 41 222
* First Aid: 41 204
* Tourist Office: 41 250 - 41 185
Some of the most important sites of Symi worth visiting are the following:
1. Symi town Castle-Ano Symi
2. Monastery of the Archangel Michael in Panormos
3. The monastery of the Archangel Michael Roukouniotis
4. The church of the prophet Elijah
5. The islet of Nimos
6. "Pontikokastro" near the windmills of Ano Symi
7. The church of PROFITIS ILIAS
8. The church of ST. NEKTARIOS
The main town of Symi is divided into the upper and lower town. The lower town is also called Yialos, the upper town... more travel advice
We all have memories etched into our minds and Symi will add one more to the list. As the Rhodes ferry swings around the... more travel advice
miman's Related Pages
Symi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Symi..A place to return to again and again and ..."
- "Light and Shade of Symi"
- "Symi Town"
- "CHARMING SYMI"
- "Simy Island"
- "Symi, Dodecanese Island"
- "Sailing to the wonderful Symi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Symi
- Hotels in Symi
- Transportation in Symi
- Nightlife in Symi
- Restaurants in Symi
- Shopping in Symi
- Warnings and Dangers in Symi
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Symi
- 9 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Symi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Symi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 32 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novi Sad Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Symi Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kusadasi Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Cairo Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Ephesus Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos