"Greece - Hot spot for me" Greece by miman
Greece Travel Guide: 28,485 reviews and 84,433 photos
Greece - officially the Hellenic Republic , is a country in south-eastern Europe, situated on the southern end of the Balkan peninsula. It is bordered by Bulgaria, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Albania to the north and by Turkey to the east. The Aegean Sea lies to the east of mainland Greece while the Ionian Sea lies to the west. Both, parts of the eastern Mediterranean basin, feature a vast number of islands.
Regarded as the cradle of western civilization and being the birthplace of Democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, Western Literature, Political Science and drama including both tragedy and comedy, Greece has a very long and remarkably rich history during which its culture has proven to be especially influential in Europe, Northern Africa and the Middle East. Today, Greece is a developed nation, member of the European Union since 1981 and a member of the Eurozone since 2001.
Greece consists of a large mainland at the southern end of the Balkans; the Peloponnesus peninsula (separated from the mainland by the canal of the Isthmus of Corinth); and numerous islands (around 3,000), including Crete, Rhodes, Kos, Euboea, the Dodecanese and the Cycladic groups of the Aegean Sea as well as the Ionian Sea islands. Greece has more than 15,000 kilometres (9,300 mi) of coastline and a land boundary of 1,160 kilometres (721 mi). Approximately 27.9% of the nation's territory is covered by forests.
Four fifths of Greece consist of mountains or hills, making the country one of the most mountainous in Europe.
Olive oil is a vegetable oil obtained from the fruit of the Olive tree a traditional tree crop of the Mediterranean... more travel advice
Feta is the most famous traditional Greek cheese, dating back to the Homeric ages. It is a white soft cheese, ripened... more travel advice
miman's Related Pages
Greece Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Greece - Ellada 2008"
- "Greece... as lovely as it seems!"
- "My beloved Greece..."
- "Following in the Footsteps of Paul"
- "FALLING IN LOVE WITH GREECE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greece
- Hotels in Greece
- Transportation in Greece
- Nightlife in Greece
- Restaurants in Greece
- Shopping in Greece
- Warnings and Dangers in Greece
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greece
- 77 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Greece?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greece
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rodos (City) Intro, 32 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Budapest Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Novi Sad Intro, 29 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Symi Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kusadasi Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Cairo Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Ephesus Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos