"I LOVE SOUTH AFRICA" Richards Bay by Weny

Richards Bay Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos

St. Lucia Area

First, let me say every single person I've met has who has the fortune to visit South Africa has loved it. Yes, it has many problems but somehow between the beauty of the landscape, the animals, and the people it just seems to work. I would go back there in a flash if I could! I did a capture and release project when I was there. We were catching crocodiles and tagging them. The Nile crocodile is the king of the St. Lucia ecosystem, which is a huge estuary bordered by vegetated sand dunes (now a UNESCO world heritage site). The sand dunes have to be seen to be believed. You can see all the big five in the area as well and Umfolozi game park ( once Shaka Zulu's personal hunting ground) is only a short drive away.

Boma Village

We visited a traditional Zulu village that was more like a living museum. They had beehive huts, hand made baskets and hand worked spears, which were amazingly sharp! Then we watched a performance, a traditional pre-war dance because as we know Zulus are fierce warriors!

Looking down into the valley

This is a view from Shaka Zulu's private hunting ground, now Umfolozi/Hulawhwe National Park. This a great place to see rhino, wildebeest, impala, kudu,elephants (I didn't get to see any :( ) and lions.

• Pros:So much to see, so many animals and habitats
  • Cons:It's hard to do everything so plan well and in advance
  • In a nutshell:I loved it, if their economy ever improves I'm moving there!
  • Last visit to Richards Bay: Jul 1995
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2005

Travelogues (1)

Comments

Weny

“here..we...GO!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Richards Bay

Have you been to Richards Bay?

Latest Activity in Richards Bay