"Ile de Goree" Ile de Goree by Weny
Ile de Goree Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 68 photos
Goree became notorious has a slave holding center for years during the slave trade. This was the last place many Africans saw in Africa. Many knowing their fate would jump from the cliffs surrounding the island instead of letting themselves be loaded onto a ship and brought to another land.
Despite it's brutal history it is an incredibly pleasant place and very pretty. There is a very good museum on the island dedicated to those sold into slavery. It is an unflinching look into sleepy Goree's past life.
- Pros:Beautiful, peaceful in almost an otherwordly way
- Cons:There 's only one hotel on the island its nice, but always booked
- In a nutshell:Very small but well worth a visit
Weny's Related Pages
Ile de Goree Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Goree Island - Slave Island"
- "Île de Gorée"
- "The Escape from Dakar!"
- "Goree, an oasis in the middle of the sea"
- "Goree Island"
- "Ile de Goree"
- "ILE DE GOREE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ile de Goree
- Hotels in Ile de Goree
- Transportation in Ile de Goree
- Restaurants in Ile de Goree
- Shopping in Ile de Goree
- Warnings and Dangers in Ile de Goree
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ile de Goree
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ile de Goree?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ile de Goree
Top 10 Pages
- Yogyakarta Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Papeete Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iquitos Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Medan Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Banjarmasin Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Galápagos Islands Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cruz Bay Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tokyo Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jakarta Intro, 1 review, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.