"Miles to go before I rest" birvine's Profile

The Good VT Membership Drive

After a little chat in a forum about good ethics in VT, I started creating VT Membership cards.

Why travel?

Travelling is the way to experience other cultures and far-away places. To ensure the closeness with where I am, I prefer to bicycle from destination to destination and enjoy "doing". I tend to split my travelling between exploring my own country (Canada) and other parts of the world.

With the seasons changing a place so much maybe as each season approaches it is like you have traveled from one place to another. These two pictures of the same yard are quite different, I think you'll agree.

A bit about me.

I was born and now live in little towns in northern Ontario, Canada. Though there are those who would not agree, there is much to be said about a small town: the people are friendly, you know your neighbours and everyone seems to help everyone when they need it.

Growing up I did not feel this way. After completing high school I moved to Toronto (U of T) then London (UWO) where I completed by Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. This was followed by an MBA at Queen's in Kingston, and a B Ed (teaching subjects are mathematics, computers, and business) from Nipissing in North Bay. Finally, I moved into our family's business and work both in Cochrane and Iroquois Falls.

The latest change - our family sold the businesses in April 2004, so I am an employee for the first time in quite a while. On the positive side, if the walls come crashing down... I can sidestep and move along to see where the wind takes me next.

Though I have been back to the north for about 7 years, I am getting itchy feet again, and am putting together plans to fulfill a dream I have had for some time - living and working in a foreign country. What I will do, who knows, where I will go, who knows, but it will allow me to pursue my passions - travelling, cycling and life-long learning. With all my training so far, I have my packsack full of skills, so I worry not!

My fledgling travel steps

I am not sure when the desire to travel awakened itself in me - perhaps as a kid when our family travelled around Canada camping from the east coast to Alberta, perhaps it is "genetic" as my grandparents explored somewhere new every year, or do I just have that type of mind?

I count myself lucky that before finishing high school I had been to the Caribbean, Europe and all over my country (Canada). Since then I have put two of my passions together to cycle tour. I have experienced (ie pedalled) the steep incline to Haleakala, crossed the Alps through Austria, Switzerland and France, the Canadian Rockies, the climb from Lion's Gate Bridge through North Van to Grouse Mtn, crisscrossed the UK, France and Cape Breton Highlands. What better way to see the world, meet the people, and enjoy the company of a good friend or many.

Like many who travel, rather than satiate the hunger, my travelling serves to increase it, and I am wanting for more. The latest big tour was from Istanbul to Cabo da Roca (Europe east to west) which I cycled from August until December 2003 for 100 days. The fall of 2004 I'm off to Mexico for my sister's wedding. For another day: New Zealand's North and South islands. Then? RTW???

Oddly enough when I got back from the cycling across Europe, I thought that traveling was 'out of my system.' Little did I know how temporary this state of mind would prove to be. Here I am a few weeks from heading to Mexico for my sister's wedding, and can't wait to get that passport of mine back at work. Then in the new year I shall be making an employment shift, so I just might need to make a tour or two. Slovenia on two wheels? Scotland to the home of the Irvines? Stay tuned.

And a different kind of travel, too.

And when I am home, another pursuit is up amidst the clouds in the Cessna 175. To date I have introduced about 100 people to the wonders of flight. I wonder if I got them onto a life-long path of discovery?

Curious about the weather in my neck of the wodds? Well take a peek: Cochrane, Ontario Weather

Here is a pretty cool website to intrigue the mind: Are you bored?

One of my travel goals is to head back to where my ancestors are from. Here is a photograph of my Grandfather during WW 2. The Irvines originally came from New Deer, Scotland.

Update Summer 2007

A few years later and I still have much to see and places to go... and VT pages to update. Since starting these pages there have been trips to a pilgrimage in Spain, a wedding in Mexico and some mojitos in Cuba. Hopefully more to come. Anyone game to go?

• Intro Updated Jun 26, 2007

• primavera's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2013 at 1:47 AM

happy birthday..........!!!

• Dialing's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM

Hi Brent! WISHING YOU SUPER-MEGA-GOOD and AWESOME YEAR! S NOVYM GODOM! :) Sunshine & smiles from Kyiv, Dialing

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Comment Ça Va ma petite dinde? Happy Belated, Turkey !!;-))

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Nice to see you back in the forums again, welcome back!

• IngaA's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 12:50 AM

hi Brent, I've just come back from romania, there were poenty of cyclists there, I winder if you were one of them :)))

• amouramour's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 11:21 AM

Hi Brent.So you'll make it on bike?

• Jun 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Hiya Brent, the 23rd certainly is a great day for a birthday!! Happy belated birthday to you too!

• roz.van's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM

great to see you're back! i'm good thanks. any adventures in the pipeline? :-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 5:17 AM

yes - hanging on by my fingernails

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 2:02 PM

hi there. Nice to see you back. Oh and, belated best wishes on your birthday!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
birvine's Profile Photo

birvine

“If I can cycle there, I'll go; but if not, I'll still go.”

Real Name