"Santiago: A piece of magic" Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela by keltic
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide: 717 reviews and 2,296 photos
Not the biggest in Galicia, but without all doubts the most important city in the region. The 130.000 (roughly) inhabitants, It is the cultural, historical, political and espiritual centre of Galicia. The foundation is closely related to myths and legends, but perhaps with a real sense.
Just some lines about it past. At the beginning of the IX century a monk called Paio had observed lights in the heaven. Bishop Teodomiro finds a shrine with three tombs and inscription saying "here lies St James, son of Zebedeo and Salome". The other tombs would bellong to Teodoro and Anastasio. King Alfonso of Asturias, decides to build a temple and founds the city. Becoming the centre of power of the region. It starts to be well known worldwide and tides of pilgrims start to come from all over the world, and city expands. As the third symbol of christdom (with Jerusalem and Rome, the city was destroyed by vikings and arabs since it was a significant target. Diego Gelmirez was the most significant figure in the medieval times and makes the city an splendid display of art.
In 1492 the Catholic Kings stablished the Real Audiencia in Santiago, as the first Capital of Galicia and centre of power. Although the city is taken the capital of the province in the XIX century, the capital of Galicia is given back in 1982 when regional goverment is set up. In 1985 Santiago is given the award of Herritage of Mankind by UNESCO, as one of the most representative monumental city in the Spain. Tourism booms.
Nowadays, Santiago is a pleasant modern small and well equiped city situated in the Northwest of Spain. A Green Celtic region in Spain. So dont expect bullfighting, sangria or flamenco, but a green landscape which resambles to Scotland or Ireland.
One of the holly cities in the world, Santiago is much more than the shrine of Saint James. It is not only the destination of thounsand of pilgrims, but an impresive monumental city which provoques sensations and deep feelings. The whole city is alive, and it soul is the cathedral which lies on a top of a hill, where the old cities also lies and surounded by other seven hills. The old city has been called by many writers, "the stone forest", and the presence of art is everywhere. Magic spreeds all over and the city keeps the same as in the Middle Age. Nothing changes with the past of time. The stone of the streets and monuments, glows and come to live when the Atlantic rains moist everything. It is a city of feelings; Mist arround the clock tower, moss, chocolate from the cafes, and wet earth. Noise, steps at night and music coming from the old pubs. But the city is active, vibrant, bustling, modern and well equiped with many facilities. Few cities offer such an enchanting aspect. Few people have heard of Santiago. We are eager to welcome you. Never has been so easy to visit us.
- Pros:Unexpected, magic, monumental
- In a nutshell:Step back in time
15) DEAN HOUSE Barroque style 1752 16) CASA DOS CANONIGOS XVII century 17) SAN MARTIN PINARIO MONASTERY. A... more travel advice
The green stuff gets into all corners of the city. It has been awarded as the Spanish city with more parks. -The main... more travel advice
- See All Train Station
- See All Ensanche Area
- See All Accomodation web
- See All Traditional Café
- See All Old chemistry
keltic's Related Pages
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Camino Frances in May 2012"
- "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- "Santiago de Compostela"
- "Santiago de Compostela - Winter and Summer"
- "Santiago: A piece of magic"
- "Meine Ausruestung fuer meinen naechsten Camino"
- "Santiago de Compostela- 2004 JUBILEE year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
- Transportation in Santiago de Compostela
- Nightlife in Santiago de Compostela
- Restaurants in Santiago de Compostela
- Shopping in Santiago de Compostela
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago de Compostela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago de Compostela
- 30 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de Compostela
Photos in Santiago de CompostelaSee All Photos (19)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago de Compostela Intro, 30 reviews, 19 photos
- Syria Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Slovenia Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Bulgaria Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Germany Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos