"Fascinating Niger..." Top 5 Page for this destination Niger by Bonobo2005

Niger Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 510 photos

Going to Niger

My stay in Togo and Benin lasted only 10 days. The continuous rains and thick dark grey clouds, the landscapes that didn't really change, the language problem. I had had a good time, but now I was suddenly fed up with it. I drastically changed my plans on that rainy Sunday morning and decided: "Today I'll go to Niger...!!"

The journey from the Benin border to market town Zinder took not less than 32 hours crossing the one of the more populated regions of Niger. A better introduction to the Sahel life and landscapes I couldn't wish! Zinder turned out to be a relaxed and most friendly place with fascinating old quarters and markets, where I highly enjoyed my stay of a week!

My travels in Niger

From Zinder a rather adventurous trip across barren and empty land brought me to ancient Agadez, the main focus of tourists and travellers in Niger.

Here you can organise excursions to the stunning Tuareg inhabited oases of the Aiir Mountains or, more remote, expeditions in the Tenere Desert, regularly described as the most beautiful part of the Sahara!

I tried to organise things by myself and travelled by truck and camel to the important oasis of Timia, where I was lucky enough to be picked up after a few days by a tour group back to Agadez. Just in time for the Official Cure Salee Festival in Ingal, a fantastic event visited by few thousand of mostly nomadic people from different tribes.

The last extremely hot 5 days of my total 26 days in Niger were well spent in Niamey, one of the more pleasant African capitals I visited.

All in all another fantastic and unforgettable experience, one that hardly didn't compare to any trip I did ever before...

• Last visit to Niger: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 12, 2004

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Great page Bonobo, thank you for sharing

• desert_princess's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 6:12 AM

great shot from the cure salee festival!

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Most interesting. Descriptive writing and excellent information. Too bad I don't know French. But your pate is an excellent substitute for the real thing.

• Nov 14, 2005 at 11:58 AM

Top-notch page on Niger! Great photos!

• luddinra's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2005 at 9:56 AM

The hunger they are facing now is so terrible. Thank you for caring about this beautiful country...

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 1:47 PM

excellent info and great pics

• nomada's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 3:11 AM

What a fascinating country ! What a beautiful people ! I feel sad and angry of what is going on now. Hunger in 21 century?

• jacobzoethout's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2005 at 4:08 AM

great pages, amazing pictures! makes me wanna go back to Africa. groeten jacob

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2005 at 1:28 PM

my stepdaughter has a foster sister in Niger,so this page is so very informative to us! Thanks a lot, Bo and have a great weekend!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2005 at 1:18 PM

and while the last tree was hit in 1972, I am amazed about Timia, serene and it looks very sheltered, superb pic...so is the whole page. tks Bo, I enjoyed reading

Badges & Stats in Niger