"Fascinating Niger..." Top 5 Page for this destination Niger by Bonobo2005
Niger Travel Guide: 222 reviews and 510 photos
My stay in Togo and Benin lasted only 10 days. The continuous rains and thick dark grey clouds, the landscapes that didn't really change, the language problem. I had had a good time, but now I was suddenly fed up with it. I drastically changed my plans on that rainy Sunday morning and decided: "Today I'll go to Niger...!!"
The journey from the Benin border to market town Zinder took not less than 32 hours crossing the one of the more populated regions of Niger. A better introduction to the Sahel life and landscapes I couldn't wish! Zinder turned out to be a relaxed and most friendly place with fascinating old quarters and markets, where I highly enjoyed my stay of a week!
From Zinder a rather adventurous trip across barren and empty land brought me to ancient Agadez, the main focus of tourists and travellers in Niger.
Here you can organise excursions to the stunning Tuareg inhabited oases of the Aiir Mountains or, more remote, expeditions in the Tenere Desert, regularly described as the most beautiful part of the Sahara!
I tried to organise things by myself and travelled by truck and camel to the important oasis of Timia, where I was lucky enough to be picked up after a few days by a tour group back to Agadez. Just in time for the Official Cure Salee Festival in Ingal, a fantastic event visited by few thousand of mostly nomadic people from different tribes.
The last extremely hot 5 days of my total 26 days in Niger were well spent in Niamey, one of the more pleasant African capitals I visited.
All in all another fantastic and unforgettable experience, one that hardly didn't compare to any trip I did ever before...
2 months on the road, my memory cards of my digital camera all full, I searched for a good internet cafe to download the... more travel advice
If you are in Niamey, a rather pleasant excursion is to the National Museum near the Kennedy Bridge. It is a nice, green... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Niger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fascinating Niger..."
- "Niger - A Desert Safari"
- "Nigeriennes vs Nigerians"
- "besspalmer's new Niger page"
- "Hrund's Niger Page"
- "DreamWeaver's new Niger page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niger
- Hotels in Niger
- Transportation in Niger
- Nightlife in Niger
- Restaurants in Niger
- Shopping in Niger
- Warnings and Dangers in Niger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niger
- 128 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Niger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niger
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue