Serooskerke (Walcheren) Off The Beaten Path Tips by Bonobo2005
Serooskerke (Walcheren) Off The Beaten Path: 12 reviews and 12 photos
The Stone spotted in early Spring
When determinating the stone fence around the Church you might notice a strange stone in the pavement..
One theory is that it was used as a sample for making metal frames around wheels.
Vt-er Numbat wrote me about another possiblility:
Regarding the stone, we had a stone similar to the one in your picture. The bottom of the wheel was in a water trough and when you turned the stone, and this stone was very heavy, the water was used to keep thes stone wet for sharpening. My dad and i sharpenend all of the butcher knives on this stone at least once a week. I am sure if you get in touch with some old butchers, you will probably find that they used a stone like that as well. I do remember that later on, a horse drawn cart came round once a week and he had a fancy set up and sharpened the knives. This was in about 1947. Hope this helps you in your quest to find the history of similar stones.
local cyclists on Sunday Afternoon
Oostkapelseweg 8 (summerview)
The Oostkapelseweg is the main road to the coastal village of Oostkapelle and dotted with attractions.
Coming from Serooskerke Centre (Torenstraat) turn right.
On your left hand is the stunning park of Welgelegen. The minor gate immediately to the left takes you to one of the remoest corners of the Park. After 50 meters along a tight overgrown path you will be rewarded with great views over the Pond and the Old Coachhouse.
Opposite the Torenstreet you may check out the area around so called Jeugdhonk. This building dates back to the early 20st century and nowadays houses the Wereldwinkel, a shop dedicated to craftsproducts of Third World Countries
A branch of the Brouwerij Sprinke ?
The area around the Boshoekweg offers some of the best country sidal scenery in Serooskerke.
This road, best conquered by bicycle, takes you along pretty farms, farmlands and canals. Hence it offers magnificent options for picknicks.
From some of these spots you can watch the skyline of Serooskerke Village, including brilliant views on the Wind Mill and the amazing Tower!
bunker from ww-II
In the Van Vollenhoveweg I discovered a bunker dating back from 2nd World War
I didn't manage to find out about it's history yet, but it's known that the Germans fired some rockets from Serooskerke towards London in 1944.
The bunker is private property, and probably will not be included in tours if such are conducted in future...
Corner Torenstraat / Zandput - very lively!
Take a close look at the fine setting of early 19th centrury houses in the Torenstraat, the main street of Serooskerke
The Torenstraat is one of the most lively streets in Serooskerke, where you can find the 2 cafes, the bakery, the ATM machine, the haircutting saloon and so on.
In sidestreets a huge supermarket and the swimming pool can be reached!
Cosy ambience on the Church Ring
Normally, the ring around the church is one of the oldest parts of the villages. Serooskerke is no exception.
Do the circuit around the Tower and feel the cosy ambiance, see the beautiful houses and their gardens, with always the majestic church in the back!
Absolutely stunning scenery in Serooskerke!!
Some canals around Serooskerke are full of fish and regularly you can see people going for carp.
It's so much relaxing when you sit down between clumps of reed, inhaling the fresh air and look out over beautiful farm fields!
But for me...a bit too much boring though...
The World Famous White Swan is commonly spotted
If you're interested in bird watching you may like to hike along the small canals around Serooskerke, which are favorite breeding places for a lot of birds.
The waterway and land behind the Wind Mill is gorgeous, but unfortunately it's private property. Still if you don't destroy too many crops you shouldn't have probs.
During the years I lived here I never thought of enjoying farmland views...
...but now, in the early evening, cycling on the small roads through the countryside, with the sun shining over the fields, I realised how beautiful it actually was.
The land had been treated with such a precision that it almost looked like a piece of art...and despite the use of machines, it's still a craft indeed!
You can see this kind of lanscape in April/May.
More Reviews (168)
- See All Semi Awesome Electricity House
- See All Queens day: again a playback show
- See All Fresh fish once a week!
- See All Open Mill Day
- See All Mini camping De Druiverank
- See All You shouldn't miss the women's cycling...
- See All CrimesTop 5 in Serooskerke involving...
- See All Breedijk Horecaverzorging
- See All Low voltage storage unit #08
- See All Bus Serooskerke to Domburg
- See All Stroskerks Eetuus
Been to Serooskerke (Walcheren)?Share your travels with the world!
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Serooskerke (Walcheren) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serooskerke: Pearl on The Isle of Walcheren"
- "Local produce"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Hotels in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Transportation in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Nightlife in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Restaurants in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Shopping in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Warnings and Dangers in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lapeer Hotels
- Nakhon Phanom
- Ban Nam Khem
- Maros Hotels
- Bathurst Hotels
- Björkholmen Hotels
- Marrakesh Off The Beaten Path
- Oaxaca de Juárez Off The Beaten Path
- Shinjuku Off The Beaten Path
- Iliantzi market (iliantzi)
- Hellevoetsluis Off The Beaten Path
- Peterborough Off The Beaten Path
- Biloxi Off The Beaten Path
- Nakhon Ratchasima Off The Beaten Path
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Off The Beaten Path
- Sea & Sand
- State of Sabah Off The Beaten Path
- Sancerre Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- 181 Reviews
- 223 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Serooskerke (Walcheren)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Posted in Travel Cape Verde Forum "Re: Holiday middle march 2011"
- Wrote a Review Semi Awesome Electricity House in Serooskerke (Walcheren) Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welgelegen Small Pool (almost Seasonal)"
- updated a Serooskerke (Walcheren) Travelogue "A collection of markers in Serooskerke"
- Commented on one of Bonobo2005's Serooskerke (Walcheren) travel pages
Photos in Serooskerke (Walcheren)See All Photos (223)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue