Serooskerke (Walcheren) Favorite Tips by Bonobo2005
Serooskerke (Walcheren) Favorites: 12 reviews and 12 photos
Marker former townhall
Favorite thing: Many of Serooskerke's historical buildings are gone, but some still exist.
Visitors might not notice these at first glance, but ancient markers help to remind you of Serooskerke's rich history.
This one showed on the picture tells us that the building was converted to townhall in 1905.
***see the travelogue(s) for the AMAZING Historical Heart of Serooskerke Tour - a walk around the legendary historical markers in Serooskerke - ***
note July 2005: the particular tour does not exist yet and is due to be included in the walking tour described in the "Things to do"- section. Please be patient.
Easter performance EMM
Favorite thing: A visit to a performance of the local brass band EMM (Eendracht Maakt Macht) easliy could be the highlight of your day.
What you at least find here is a big deal of enthousiasm from local musicians who are very well trained. The standard of their performance is really high.
Their repertoire includes popular, folk & classical;
Unfortunately EMM doesn't perform very often for audience, but check it out if you're around...!
EMM's home is the building behind the "Jeugdhonk", Oostkapelseweg.
Fondest memory: The fantastic Hungarian compositions performed by EMM!
In recent years EMM has become more varied and experimental with the addition of a percussionist and the use of unconventional instruments.
Note July 2005: EMM performs their best productions annualy on 2nd Easter Day, kicking off around 9.30AM. Definately a must if you're around!
Market day in Zeeland
Favorite thing: Mr. Francke himself is one of the most respectable artists of Serooskerke, and he displays his work during the open day.
It should not be missed, since this is one of the rare occasions you can admire it!
Pieces of his collection, some of it made by collegue artists, can be seen in the garden, interacting brilliantly with the natural environment!
see also note in previous tip
Swamp area in Mr. Francke's Garden
Favorite thing: Another garden that shouldn't be missed on Open Garden Day, is the private garden of Mr. A. Francke.
This incredible garden, that delicately mixes natural (wild) areas with fine design, attracts huge numbers of birds and butterflies.
You can also find some idyllic hide-outs, in addition to fantastic views over the countrside.
The garden is located on the Oostkapelseweg, Serooskerke. Admission is free.
Update July 2005: this year Mr. Francke did not participate in the Open Garden Day. It is highly unsure if he ever will reopen his garden in future...By all means thank you very much Mr. Francke for all those wonderful years that we could visit your private garden, which remained one of the most interesting I ever saw!
Fondest memory: The Brouwers Sprinke is a stunning little canal, one of the most scenic of Serooskerke, that starts near The Sandpit,
The canal was known already about 1000 years ago. There used to be a little path along the canal that connected Serooskerke with the Estate of Leeuwendamme!
These days you can still follow the canal to the present day farm annex mini camping Leeuwendamme. But you have to cross private property and I can imagine that farmers don't like a busloads full of Japanese and German tourists wandering on their lands...
If you really want to explore the Brouwers Sprinke, you can ask permission at Leeuwendamme!
Update July 2005: I just went to visit the Sprinke and noticed huge pollution near the sandpit. Also, it is likely that part of this historical stream will be sacrificed to construction of new houses. I will keep you up to date....
Brilliant views on the breathtaking Mill De Hoop
Favorite thing: Mill Day is celebrated once a year in The Netherlands, and usually coincides with "Bicycle Day".
It goes without saying that Serooskerke, with its important mill, is one of the favourite locations for so called mill freaks.
At this day Mill The Hoop will be open for visitors, and the miller explains everything you want to know about his work and the history.
You can pause here, have a drink and admire the area from the terrace of the resturant.
EMM in the Churchyard
Favorite thing: If you are really lucky you may be able to attend an open air service in the yard of the Calvinist Church!
Lucky, because it happens maybe just once or twice a year, and of course only when the weather is reasonably nice.
I was that lucky. It's fenomenal to hear EMM performing in front of the chuch. It reminds me of the twenties, when EMM even had its own very covered stage in the yard.
check out the announcements
Not too bad view from sleeping room
Fondest memory: The view from my window can sometimes be describes as simply awesome!
Around Serooskerke there are many spots where you can enjoy great endless views.
Though I love mountain scenery, the flatness of Zeeland can be an attraction as well!
Splendid view over hazy Serooskerke
Fondest memory: I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to climb the tower of Serooskerke.
It's not very tall, only about 28 meter.
93 stone steps wind up to the top floor.
From there you can overlook most of Serooskerke. On the picture are clearly visible the swimming pool "Goudvijver" and behind that Park Welgelegen.
Unfortunately the tower is not open for tourism -but you might have a little change if you visit the church on a sundays, on Queens Day at 8AM or on the annual "Day of Serooskerke" and ask politely.
***for more about this BIG adventure inside the tower -please visit the travelogue***
Mr. R. Allaart concentrates...
Fondest memory: "Stroskerkse Biljart Vereninging" is one of the more vibrant clubs in Serooskerke.
It has 20 members (which is the limit) who play a Libre competition from september until april every year.
Libre is the game with 3 balls and no holes in the table. With the white ball you have to touch the 2 others, not necessarily over the cushions.
The best SVB-clubplayer averages about 5 caramboles in a row, which is pretty good. I play only 0,6 myself ;-(
SVB evenings are on mondays at the bar of Camping Olmeveld. It's not a restricted area so if you're around you're welcome to watch and have a drink. The game is the reason to come together, but socializing is at least as important.
More Reviews (169)
- See All Semi Awesome Electricity House
- See All Kleine Putweg Region
- See All Queens day: again a playback show
- See All Fresh fish once a week!
- See All Mini camping De Druiverank
- See All You shouldn't miss the women's cycling...
- See All CrimesTop 5 in Serooskerke involving...
- See All Breedijk Horecaverzorging
- See All Low voltage storage unit #08
- See All Bus Serooskerke to Domburg
- See All Stroskerks Eetuus
Been to Serooskerke (Walcheren)?Share your travels with the world!
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Serooskerke (Walcheren) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serooskerke: Pearl on The Isle of Walcheren"
- "Local produce"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Hotels in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Transportation in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Nightlife in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Restaurants in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Shopping in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Warnings and Dangers in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sugarloaf Ridge State Park Hotels
- Cape May
- Fontainebleau Hotels
- Sint-Idesbald Hotels
- Hillcrest Hotels
Badges & Stats in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- 181 Reviews
- 223 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Serooskerke (Walcheren)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Serooskerke (Walcheren)
- Posted in Travel Cape Verde Forum "Re: Holiday middle march 2011"
- Wrote a Review Semi Awesome Electricity House in Serooskerke (Walcheren) Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Welgelegen Small Pool (almost Seasonal)"
- updated a Serooskerke (Walcheren) Travelogue "A collection of markers in Serooskerke"
- Commented on one of Bonobo2005's Serooskerke (Walcheren) travel pages
Photos in Serooskerke (Walcheren)See All Photos (223)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue