"Aceh, the neglected beautiful part of Sumatra" Top 5 Page for this destination Aceh Special Region by Bonobo2005
Aceh Special Region Travel Guide: 386 reviews and 963 photos
Due to the Tsunami most likely some of my Coastal tips are useless by now.
Note Jan.2003: Since the Indonesian army has intensified its actions against the independance movement GAM in 2003, foreign travellers were not allowed in many parts of Aceh nor was it considered safe due to spontaneous outbreaks of shootings. Check before you go!
Aceh is a region that is - outside Pulau Weh - hardly visited by tourists, although it's one of the unspoiled highlights of Sumatra!
I followed the central route via Kutacane and Takengon to Banda Aceh. Spent some nights along the unspoilt East Coast. Finally I made my way to the diving and snorkelling paradise Pulau Weh.
You can travel the tight roads though Central Aceh by local buses (or your own motorbike!) that crosses the jungle of Gunung Leuser NP and the very scenic Gayo Highlands.
Everywhere I came local people were happy to meet the foreigner, to help me, or even to invite me without any purpose of making business.
Aceh is an amazing and rewarding, though sometimes a little wild destination for flexible travellers !!
- Pros:Honest, helpful, hospitable and friendly people, unspoiled, wild natural beauty, not touristic at all and of course: COFFEE!
- Cons:Abundance of military presence, sometimes unrest and incidents, logging in Gunung Leuser NP
- In a nutshell:Aceh is much more than travelwarnings only !
The transportation system in Aceh is very good albeit slow the more remoter you go. Big and medium sized buses bring... more travel advice
In the early morning of day 4 finally the sky cleared up and it stopped raining, and we walked the last 30 minutes up to... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Aceh Special Region Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkit Aceh!! (Wake Up Aceh)"
- "Tomorrow will be Better for ACEH"
- "Aceh, the neglected beautiful part of Sumatra"
- "Aceh - Serambi Mekah"
- "My First Time to Aceh"
- "Pulau Weh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aceh Special Region
- Hotels in Aceh Special Region
- Transportation in Aceh Special Region
- Restaurants in Aceh Special Region
- Shopping in Aceh Special Region
- Warnings and Dangers in Aceh Special Region
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aceh Special Region
- 22 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Aceh Special Region?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aceh Special Region
- Posted in Travel Cape Verde Forum "Re: Holiday middle march 2011"
- updated a Aceh Special Region Travel Page "Aceh, the neglected beautiful part of Sumatra"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Takengon: the monster of Lake Laut Tawar"
- Wrote a Review Very good transportation system in Aceh! in Aceh Special Region Transportation
Photos in Aceh Special RegionSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue