"Rajasthan" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan by Bonobo2005

State of Rajasthan Travel Guide: 3,276 reviews and 10,185 photos

including some other places that I visited

Note: I visited only small part of India, so this intro text might not be representative for all India!

It was a fellow traveller that persuaded me to go to India. After 5 exciting months on the road I had suffered a bit from a burn out, but 2 taking-it-easy weeks in Kathmandu gave me new inspiration again.

Moreover, I was extremely eager to see that equally beloved as hated country, that had to be so much different from very other in the world!

The bus from Kathmandu to Varanasi took 26 hours and instantly supplied me with some impressions of the specific travel circumstances that travellers had to deal with.

First an agent on the border conspired with a bus attendant to let me pay a commission on top of the ticket price, although I found the correct bus myself. And after we arrived, being completely exhausted, it cost me half an hour to convince the rikshaw driver to bring me to the guesthouse I wanted (he told me it was full -which was not the case- moreover he stopped 2 times and try to change my mind).

These are only 2 out of 1000 examples I can write down. Just every day I had to deal with this kind of irritating men and swindlers and it required a lot of self control to stay polite. And that what’s I wanted to do, because, how idealistic this thought actually was, finally someone might show up who was really sincerely friendly.

Still, it's the environment, the sights, the ambiance, why you could love India as well and consider it as a travel highlight after all.
Daily life here is like a movie, sometimes exciting, amazing, sometimes touching, shocking.

It never becomes boring…if you can control the overload of emotions and impressions!

• Last visit to State of Rajasthan: Jan 2002
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2007

• illumina's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Some really good tips here - maybe you could put your Varanasi ones in a separate page to make them easier to find, they are worth it!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2008 at 7:50 PM

It's unfortunate You metwith wrong peopleTouts! It usually happens with the backpackers everywhere, touts catch them quickly, even with us . please carry your Lonely Planet while in India. These poor people survive on westen money, whatever way they come.

• Oct 30, 2007 at 11:09 PM

i loved your writing style, and had a good chuckle about camel farts as well. :)

• jillikins's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Wow, what a wonderful time you had, and great photos, thanks for sharing.I'll be there in a couple of weeks.!!!

• magdalena2007's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 8:18 AM

Love your page on India :) on your trip to Jaisalmer (Camelback), can you just do a one night trip or is it mandatory to do a long one =like the one you did?

• husain's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 6:33 AM

wow- thats a pretty eventful india trip!

• mskwan's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for posting your itinerary and days required in your trip. It helps me in my planning.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Very interesting write up and photos bo! Groetjes vanuit Ierland.

• RAJASTHANBYCAR's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2005 at 5:50 AM

Hi Bo Nobo your page of Rajasthan is great i wish you Happy birth day and greeting from India Mahavir Yadav.

• mickybleck's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 1:03 PM

Great page! Thanks for waiting-room-tip in Jodphur and those on camel-safari and Pushkar. Will go there Nov/Dec.

Badges & Stats in State of Rajasthan

Have you been to State of Rajasthan?

Friends