"TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing" Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet by Bonobo2005
Tibet Travel Guide: 1,402 reviews and 4,147 photos
About travelling Tibet...
The time I was in Tibet was one of the most memorable during my Asiatrip.
After flying in from Chengdu, I spent 2 great weeks in and around Lhasa, astonished by the devotion of the colourful Tibetans and their lively and welcoming monestaries.
Lhasa had superb facilities for travellers that made it also a very pleasant town just to hang around and doing some daytrips.
I went for a few days to Nam Tso, a holy and stunningly beautiful high altitude lake (4718m) although reaching the lake was half of the fun!
After that I hooked up with 2 fellow travellers, we made several plans only to find out that we could get no individual permits for travelling outside Lhasa-area, including the Friendship Highway to Nepal. Mount Kailash was completely out of reach, even with a jeeptour from the state run travel agency with Chinese monitored guide.
The whole system depressed us so much that we decided to take a rushy 2-day jeeptour to the border and we started to find others to join us. Then we met someon who told us about the PSB in Shigatse. We went there and got our permits for the trip to Nepalese border surprisingly easy (see also under "general tips") !!!!
Now that we were able to travel in relative freedom, using local buses, hitch hike and trek from village to village to Everest BaseCamp, we could finally see some more authentic Tibet and the way of life.
The landscapes were just amazing, the highlight the moment that Mt. Everest appeared for the first time. Also the road all the way down to Nepal is breathtaking, since you cross the barren dry and dusty Himalayarange over 5000m+ passes, surrounded by 8000m+ mountains and watch the surroundings change until finally arriving in the Nepalese jungle!
I travelled in Tibet nov 2001, when China was extra cautious after the 11 sept. attacks. It was not possible to travel from Kasgar to Lhasa or to Mt. Kailash. Hopefully things loosened up already a bit again!
- Pros:people & local custums; amazing landscape, unforgetable experience !
- Cons:Dominant Chinese presence, travelrestrictions, "huge" entrance fees
You're not allowed to climb Mount Everest without permission When I arrived at the Everest Base Camp, the whole site... more travel advice
We took a bus from Lhasa to Damxung (on the Lhasa-Golmud Road); takes, depending on the driver and the bus, 3-5 hours.... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Tibet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Roof of the World - Under Construction"
- "Returning to Tibet!"
- "TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing"
- "Roof of the World"
- "Tibet, the Buddhists on top of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tibet
- Hotels in Tibet
- Transportation in Tibet
- Nightlife in Tibet
- Restaurants in Tibet
- Shopping in Tibet
- Warnings and Dangers in Tibet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tibet
- 36 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Tibet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tibet
- Posted in Travel Cape Verde Forum "Re: Holiday middle march 2011"
- updated a Tibet Travel Page "TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing"
- Commented on one of sachara's Tibet travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Majestic views on Mount Everest"
- Wrote a Review Punishment if climbing Everest without permit in Tibet Warnings and Dangers
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue