"TIBET: unique people in unique land... and Beijing" Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet by Bonobo2005

Tibet Travel Guide: 1,402 reviews and 4,147 photos

About travelling Tibet...

The time I was in Tibet was one of the most memorable during my Asiatrip.

After flying in from Chengdu, I spent 2 great weeks in and around Lhasa, astonished by the devotion of the colourful Tibetans and their lively and welcoming monestaries.
Lhasa had superb facilities for travellers that made it also a very pleasant town just to hang around and doing some daytrips.

I went for a few days to Nam Tso, a holy and stunningly beautiful high altitude lake (4718m) although reaching the lake was half of the fun!

After that I hooked up with 2 fellow travellers, we made several plans only to find out that we could get no individual permits for travelling outside Lhasa-area, including the Friendship Highway to Nepal. Mount Kailash was completely out of reach, even with a jeeptour from the state run travel agency with Chinese monitored guide.

The whole system depressed us so much that we decided to take a rushy 2-day jeeptour to the border and we started to find others to join us. Then we met someon who told us about the PSB in Shigatse. We went there and got our permits for the trip to Nepalese border surprisingly easy (see also under "general tips") !!!!

Now that we were able to travel in relative freedom, using local buses, hitch hike and trek from village to village to Everest BaseCamp, we could finally see some more authentic Tibet and the way of life.

The landscapes were just amazing, the highlight the moment that Mt. Everest appeared for the first time. Also the road all the way down to Nepal is breathtaking, since you cross the barren dry and dusty Himalayarange over 5000m+ passes, surrounded by 8000m+ mountains and watch the surroundings change until finally arriving in the Nepalese jungle!

I travelled in Tibet nov 2001, when China was extra cautious after the 11 sept. attacks. It was not possible to travel from Kasgar to Lhasa or to Mt. Kailash. Hopefully things loosened up already a bit again!

• Pros:people & local custums; amazing landscape, unforgetable experience !
  • Cons:Dominant Chinese presence, travelrestrictions, "huge" entrance fees
  • Last visit to Tibet: Nov 2001
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2006

• titti's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Great page! Brings back memories, although my trip wasn't as adventurous as yours.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Great tips, Bo! (BTW, before I saw your face, I thought I should call you Nobo =) )

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 4:06 AM

What a fantastic page here! Such an inspirational and underestimated travel destination. I very much enjoyed your tips. Thanks for sharing your insights & experiences. Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Gyantse is spelled as "Gyangze" in the VT database. Maybe you can move a tip or two there?

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Spectacular adventure! Impressive page!

• tzuki's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Namaste! I am travelling to Tibet soon and I have found your tips very interesting for my trip. thanks!! :-)

• gwen_tifa's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 11:54 PM

can't believe i am seeing those bloody goats' heads. ewwww....

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 3:06 AM

Useful tips and great photos. I'm looking forward to going to Tibet myself.

• maysue's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Just got back from Tibet after having spend 2 days on the train to Lhasa and 5 hours flight back to Beijing - Overall, it's tiring! But your pics are great!

• qiuxy's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 4:38 AM

Amazing adventure & nice pic!Railway's been built up fr. SHA to Lhasa where congested w/h tourists since July 06. Potola even limit daily visitor no. to protect building structure. don't know it's a good thing on ecology wise. Tashi dele!

Badges & Stats in Tibet