"China" China by Bonobo2005

China Travel Guide: 30,145 reviews and 86,059 photos

16 September 2001. Kashgar. Another challenge in the life of a traveller. It had been my intention only to pass China on my way from Kyrgyzstan to Pakistan and just visit Kashgar on the way. But now, I, and a few dozen other travellers, we didn’t know what to do. Was the border open? Was the war threat in Afghanistan real? How would the Pakistani react?!

Then we heard the Pakistan/China border was open initially, but later, due to some 500.000 more or less panicking Pakistani & Afghani who tried to cross the border, China closed the border again. We waited, but heard that security for travellers in Pakistan was becoming poorer and all Western countries advised foreigners to leave Pakistan immediately. We waited. A couple of days later, most of us decided to drastically change plans.

It was hard to give up Pakistan, a dream was blown away. But the consolation prize was not too bad. I had a 3 months China visa, so why not exploring China!

China became the first country I travelled without any guidebook, just using recommendations from travellers I’ve met on the way, which was really no problem. I already met during the first week China more foreign travellers than during 10 weeks in Central Asia!

for more about crossing into/from Kyrgyzstan see my Kyrgyzstan page -under obp-tips

for more about Tibet see my Tibet page

• Last visit to China: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2003

• John195123's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Great tip. Thanks!

• qiuxy's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2007 at 5:43 AM

Don't know you've been to so many awesome places in china incl. 'Langmusi' & Dunhuang! In fact, Dunhuang is my next destination! thanks for sharing though I don't agree some of your opions as a HAN Chinese!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 4:46 AM

Informative tips. Some I will use for my own visit to China next year.

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2005 at 3:12 AM

Very nice account ... I miss China now. The Giant Panda, so cute! Thanks for sharing. Bee :)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 10:40 AM

Impressive tips about a trip along the old Silkroad!

• yuet29's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 10:23 AM

Fascinating trip!! especially when u mentioned travel without guidebook! thats is what i dream to do one day! =) Thanks for sharing!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 3:45 PM

Ben het helemaal eens met Glenn !! Ik vond Xiahe prachtig en hoop ooit nog 's in het westen van China te reizen.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2004 at 6:44 PM

Peter, your trips are just so amazing!! You are the #1 undisputed VT off-the-beaten-track traveler! Another fantastic page, thank you very much!!! PS - The travelogue map really helped.

• whaleshark99's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2004 at 1:17 PM

Great pages, great pictures and travelogues. Especially the pages on kilimanjaro and China. Your travel pages are one of the most impressive that I have seen! Thanks for all the wonderful travel pages!

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2004 at 8:49 AM

just finished reading your China travel tips! Absolutely wonderful with great photos. I have wanted to visit the east of China for many years now...youre giving me the incentive to now! I am planning onncoming back to have a look tomorrow..

Badges & Stats in China