"Mgahinga National Park: volcanoes & gorillas" Mgahinga Gorilla National Park by Bonobo2005

WARNING: THIS PAGE IS NOT ABOUT GORILLA TRACKING

Mgahinga National Park is the Ugandan share of the Virunga Conservation Area, that stretches also in Rwanda and DR Congo. It's in this area that the last remaining mountain gorillas live, an estimated 600 only, of which about 20 in Mgahinga NP.

I spend 3 days in the Park. Travellers passed by every day to visit the gorillas and although most of them considered it as one of the main highlights in their travelling career, I resisted the pressure. To be honest, I wasn't very much interested in gorillas anyway so why spend $250 on them? Maybe I was wrong, I will never know....

Instead I concentrated on hiking in the forest and summiting the inactive volcanoes in the Park. It were these volcanoes that I had admired before during my stay in Rwanda, but that were inaccessible from that side.

• Last visit to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 5, 2004

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2006 at 9:06 PM

and to protect the gorillas. any person who would harm one of these great beast should be boiled alive.

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for the trip - I am also considering a "gorilla-free" visit to this park! ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 10:50 AM

Pieter, this area of Africa is so special and you always manage to capture its spirit with your amazing pages!! Outstanding again!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 7:38 AM

As usual, a very tempting page, Pieter ! I got that feeling again, to pack for Africa, the sooner the better !

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2004 at 12:08 PM

a very good trekker's account from a dangerous place. very good pics, but u should have seen the gorillas too for addtional fun :-)

• conny_bazen's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2004 at 12:10 AM

Great page!! This is one of my dreams !!!

• Svillegas's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2003 at 6:49 AM

Wow! what an incredible travel!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2003 at 8:44 PM

I've always been fascinated by volcanoes & glaciers. It's a strange combo but there's a great life force to these. It's very interesting to read your adventures! I hope to see some of these amazing places one day! Great work!

• ania70pl's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 5:43 AM

What a great adventure! Very good page, thanks for sharing.

• garibaldi's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2003 at 2:29 PM

I add you to my list to come back and read as much pages as I could. I hope this don't disturb you.

Badges & Stats in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park

Have you been to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park?

Friends