"Mwanza: pleasant stopover" Mwanza by Bonobo2005

Mwanza Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 37 photos

I passed Mwanza on my way to Rwanda and stayed 2 nights.It's the 2nd biggest city of Tanzania on Lake Victoria.

In comparison with the other bigger cities like Dar, Arusha or Tanga I rate Mwanza as the most pleasant, not in the last place because of it's bearable climate and the lack of tourists (and touts).

Unless you're highly interested in African citylife I wouldn't recommend Mwanza as a "destination" though, since there are not really any highlights and it's a long way between Mwanza and every other place.

Traveller's usually stop by on the way to/from Uganda or Rwanda.

• Last visit to Mwanza: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2004

• Metten's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2003 at 4:21 AM

Great to see someone has stumbled over Mwanza and found it 'not too bad after all'. It's easy to fall in love with Africa - I know I did, so it's wonderful seeing your pic's from 'back home'. Keep travelling and keep us up-dated on these great pages.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 7:42 AM

Always fascinating to read about your adventurous trips and impressions. So this time too!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2003 at 2:38 AM

Great photos and a very interesting page on an uncommon destination! That hotel sounds like one that I experienced in Nairobi many years ago!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2003 at 2:00 AM

Wow, that really does sound like an adventurous trip! Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures and great tips and explainations!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2003 at 1:23 AM

thank for all the great infos....peticular on women's safety, fantastic intro pic

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2003 at 3:24 PM

great pics !

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2003 at 10:05 AM

I love your opening picture! Looks like a huge shark fin! The Bismark Rock looks pretty cool! I always love natural rock formations! Beautiful photos again of this Fantastic Adventure!! Great Stories too!

Badges & Stats in Mwanza