"Flamingo's and the Mountain of God" Lake Natron by Bonobo2005

Lake Natron Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 16 photos

A turn-off on the Arusha - Ngorongoro Crater road. A rough track through a wilderness area, part of The Great Rift Valley. Tremendous heat and the windows closed. Dust.

Maasai men sit under Baobab trees while their cattle grazes. Sometimes we stop to observe zebra, wildebeest and gazelle or other animals that inhabit the plains.

Some hours later Tanzania's only active volcano, Ol Doinyo Lengai (the Maasai "Mountain of God") appears in full ornate on the left. On the right there's a beautiful lake covered in pink. Flamingo's!

• Last visit to Lake Natron: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2003

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 10:38 AM

Weer zo'n pracht pagina van een stukje zo verbazend afwisselend Afrika !! Great pictures and not only the one of Javed Jafferji. I love his pictures and was very tempted to buy a lot of his books in the shop of his proud father in Stone Town.

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 5:59 AM

Looks to be quite the mountain to climb, Bo,,,, Another great African adventure...

• lichinga's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 2:56 PM

"postcardpic" are not so bad... and I'd liked a couple more of the lake itself. Great trip!

• tatyanap's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2003 at 11:56 AM

Wow! What a picture!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2003 at 11:41 PM

Ascending in the middle of the night sounds pretty scary to me! Great views of the crater rim though!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2003 at 4:02 PM

I remember the Lake well, what an Expirience...thanx for the memos...with this beautiful page

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 4:43 PM

The trek sounds amazing. Your descriptions make me feel what it was like for you up there. Doing the climb at night sounds scary but exciting. Great read!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2003 at 1:41 PM

great infos and excellent pics ! I hope to see this part of the world one day...

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2003 at 12:07 AM

You're an excellent storyteller! How do I know this? Because each time I read your stories & view the pics that go w/ them, my heart races as if I was actually there. Climbing Oldonyo Lengai sounds treacherous yet I'm sure the end result is exhilarating!

• KaiM's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2003 at 12:44 AM

Great page and wonderful photos

Badges & Stats in Lake Natron

Have you been to Lake Natron?

Latest Activity in Lake Natron