"Usangi: Brilliant local cultural and hiking tours!" Usangi by Bonobo2005
Usangi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 9 photos
Usangi is a small, spread out town in some kind of crater surrounded by a bunch of peaks called the Northern Pare Mountains.
The area is a dream for somewhat adventurous independent travellers/hikers. Unlike the Usambara Mountains around Lushoto, which is heavily promoted by Lonely Planet and German guidebooks, Usangi sees hardly any visitors and you’ll have a great change to learn about local customs and culture and mix up a bit with locals who are not just fixed on your $$.
But most of all the area is so beautiful! And luckily there’s a Cultural Tourism Programme that offers 3 different day tours with a local guide to the surrounding peaks.
I did all 3 as preparation for the Kili climb, stayed overnight in the Lomwe Secondary School guesthouse, with excellent views on Kili, and had my meals packed (lunch) or with the lovely teachers family that was in charge of the Program.
The 3 days/4 nights in Usangi had been really great, with lot of surprises and no other foreigners, but still secure and perfect thanks to the people of the Cultural Tourism Programme!!
The tours were not only about reaching the peaks, but also to show local life. Besides a dozen encounters with local... more travel advice
The third day we did the Mt. Mangatu View Tour. So called because of the superb side views on the two peaks of... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Usangi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Usangi: Brilliant local cultural and hiking tours!"
- Create a Usangi Travel Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Usangi
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Usangi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Usangi
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue