"Ingall: Site of the Cure Salee Festival" Ingal by Bonobo2005

Ingal Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 15 photos

Note that I on purpose misspell some French names, since the VT server keeps problems recognizing the accents

It was collegue VT'er Ali (Sachara) who made me aware of a big festival that was going to happen in a small village some 150 km away from Agadez: the annual Cure Salee; it coincided with my approx. period of visiting Agadez, so it would be a very nice bonus if I could make it there in time!

And I made it, with a lot of luck and 1 day late (see my Timia page). Now I knew nothing of what this Cure Salee Festival was all about or what was going to happen.

I expected a small local festival near a remote village in the desert.
In reality it definitely had its charm and attraction, but sometimes also felt if Government had taken over and converted it into a big and important national event to promote Niger to the world!

The official part of the Festival in Ingall lasted 3 days and was highly tourist friendly; the spontaneous and real partying took place in the evenings, in Ingall and elsewhere, in the dark, with no officials from Niamey, with no photo clicking tourists or journalists...

I had a chance to be in Ingall at the right time. It turned out to be another unique and unforgettable experience during my Niger travels!

• Last visit to Ingal: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2004

• josephescu's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

thank you for this page, really instructive. i'd rather do it though it gets touristy

• aka123's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 12:34 PM

facinating

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 1:03 AM

Amazing experience - did some research on the Fulani years ago - would love to have had your . leyle

• rdorekens's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 5:11 AM

I always wanted to know where this tribe lived and thanks to you now I know...it must have been an unforgetable experience...

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2004 at 10:36 AM

Wowow,... you've got the best trip in mind (sumitted). And shot some gorgeous pic,... proud you're a Dutchman,... top Bo Nobo, top! groetjes uit Den Haag, RoyJava

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2004 at 2:42 PM

Great pages. I actually saw this on T.V. as well. Keep up the good work.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2004 at 10:53 PM

Absolutely delightful! FUN, FUN, FUN :-)))

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 4:27 AM

I enjoyed reading your page, in spite of some things you mention, seems to be an interesting event to attend.

• marcoparco's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2004 at 9:01 AM

What an amazing page! I must say it is one of the best I have read on VT! Thank you so much for sharing this experience! Cheers

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2004 at 6:45 AM

What an interesting location and excellent pics ! ....and lots of local beauties ! ;-)

Badges & Stats in Ingal