"Ingall: Site of the Cure Salee Festival" Ingal by Bonobo2005
Ingal Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 15 photos
Note that I on purpose misspell some French names, since the VT server keeps problems recognizing the accents
It was collegue VT'er Ali (Sachara) who made me aware of a big festival that was going to happen in a small village some 150 km away from Agadez: the annual Cure Salee; it coincided with my approx. period of visiting Agadez, so it would be a very nice bonus if I could make it there in time!
And I made it, with a lot of luck and 1 day late (see my Timia page). Now I knew nothing of what this Cure Salee Festival was all about or what was going to happen.
I expected a small local festival near a remote village in the desert.
In reality it definitely had its charm and attraction, but sometimes also felt if Government had taken over and converted it into a big and important national event to promote Niger to the world!
The official part of the Festival in Ingall lasted 3 days and was highly tourist friendly; the spontaneous and real partying took place in the evenings, in Ingall and elsewhere, in the dark, with no officials from Niamey, with no photo clicking tourists or journalists...
I had a chance to be in Ingall at the right time. It turned out to be another unique and unforgettable experience during my Niger travels!
The Cure Salee Festival is attended by a mix of people in numbers that you unlikely will encounter anywhere else on... more travel advice
One of the highlights of the Festival is the Fulani ceremony called Gerewol. The young men paint their faces and... more travel advice
Bonobo2005's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Ingal
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Ingal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ingal
Top 10 Pages
- Serooskerke (Walcheren) Intro, 181 reviews, 223 photos, 5 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 85 reviews, 90 photos
- Zinder Intro, 42 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Timia Intro, 37 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 36 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Santa Juliana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore 1 review, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Rajasthan Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue